Thursday, December 05, 2019

Radio City Music Hall…1941

When I was 8 years old my oldest sister Mary treated me to an afternoon at the world-famous Radio City Music Hall in NY City. We were there to see the musical film “Fantasia” and it was enchanting.
Leopold Stokowski conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra as the movie portrayed cartoon characters performing their skits. I particularly remember “The Sorcerer's Apprentice” featuring Mickey Mouse as an aspiring magician who gets himself into and out of a bunch of predicaments.
                                  
Fantasia” never became a box office success but it was an enormous treat for me and I loved it. 

However, as an impressionable child what I really found thrilling was the live show that followed the movie. Two comedians were sparring with each other and playing to the audience. At the end of their performance they both approached the edge of the platform as one man said, “I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here” … which was quickly followed by his partner turning his back to the audience, dropping his pants and “mooning” the lot of us.

How shocking ! How crude ! How DELIGHTFUL !!

My virgin 8-year-old ears were burning but I was thrilled by the naughtiness of it all. I couldn't wait to get home to share the experience (in great detail and with many embellishments) with all my young friends.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Now, there's a memory for ya.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Lol. Quite the show! They made it memorable for sure.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, I saw Jack Benny there once and no one dropped their drawers:)) You got the special show. How funny.
Meant to tell you. I bought the Kindle version of your book but it wouldn't download as it said it wasn't compatible with my device. I downloaded another book right after with no problem. Amazon gave me a refund and it may have just been me but you might want to check it out to see if anyone else is having that problem. I really was anxious to read it but I will just have to overcome my problem with reading a real book.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Thanks for the update. I did check your book and there are a lot of pictures in it. Sorry if this is giving you grief. It is a shame though for the Kindle version would have put it into more hands. It is possible it is just my older Kindle that is the problem. I will just put my big girl panties on and read the regular book as soon as I finish reading Mrs. Mike.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

WOW that was quite the experience as I would not have expected the mooning in Radio City Music Hall.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home