Sunday, September 29, 2019

HANDLE WITH CARE ...




Some people will see nothing more than a battered old cookbook but I see my mother sitting at the kitchen table leafing through the pages to see what she will cook for us that day.  She loved and relied on this book and I don't think it ever let her down.  It is the Lily  Wallace "New AMERICAN COOKBOOK" and the original color was this bright 
    blue.     



A notation she made on page 279 next to Deviled Salmon reads: "Good. July 20 '44".I don't recall the Salmon dish but I would have been 11 years old them and CAN remember how  much my  sister Peggy  and I loved making cakes and other desserts. I'm sure the recipes came from this book. I have no idea when Mother put a new cover on the book but it was probably sometime in the 50's. She was still living on her own in the early 80's and it was then that she passed the book on to me.

Here are a few of the recipes that I'm sure I'll never try … and will probably not see in another cookbook either. SHRIMP SHRIGGLE, PIG's FEET ala RUSSE, BEEF & KIDNEY PIE with SPAGHETTI and FRIED SAUERKRAUT. However, the recipe for YORKSHIRE PUDDING is the best I've ever found.

It's so easy to run to the computer when I want to know how to cook something, but it can't compare to the warm feeling I get every time I open the pages of my very old “New AMERICAN COOKBOOK”








5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My mother used the Red Roses cookbook, I believe.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

There’s nothing like a recipe or recipe book to bring back feelings of home. Love them.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha ha can't say any of those titles tempted me but it is so special that you have such a solid reminder of your Mom.

10:44 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I have my mother's BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS cookbook, complete with many hand-written recipes from her. I treasure it.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

From my friend Jan …

"Yes, there is something very personal about a family's cookbook. For so many of us, it is a treasure trove of memories. My personal 'cook book' has titles like Willits burgers (a recipe given to me by my dear friend and professor, Esther Willits), or Aunt Laura's Devilled Eggs, Grandma's potato salad, Betsy's Carrot Cake... you get the idea. I still look them up even tho I have committed most of them to memory just to see once again their handwriting and to let my brain bring back their image in the kitchen, cooking, eating, just being there. It is all so much more than FOOD... they are images of love. And that is what these old books represent- love way more than food.
Thanks again for a post that took me back to a moment in kitchens I loved with folks long gone except in my heart"

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home