Tuesday, January 09, 2018

It literally gave me a chill …

... when I heard our President say "Where is my Roy Cohn?" today in reference to Trump not feeling that his personal lawyer was being strong enough in his treatment of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.
 

For those of you who don't know of Roy Cohn please take the time to research him.  He was a vicious and corrupt lawyer who had been the right hand of Joe McCarthy during the shameful communist activity investigations in the 1950's ... a low point in our history.
 
Cohn met Trump in the 70's and they really hit it off with Cohn becoming his mentor.  The two were so close that Trump testified in Cohn's disbarment hearing in the 1980's as a character witness.  It didn't help since Cohn was disbarred from the New York bar for "dishonesty, fraud, deceit and misrepresentation".
 
 
 
In a 1979 interview Trump told Newsweek,  "If you need someone to get vicious toward an opponent you get Roy".  No wonder I felt a chill when I heard the President of the United States refer to "my Roy" as he did.  It's pretty obvious that those lessons instilled so long ago are still front and center.
 
Roy Cohn must be chuckling in his grave but it's far from funny for those of us who see very few of our elected officials with the guts to do anything about it !
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 












 

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess the McCarthy era was worse, but the Trump era is a close second IMO.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

There is a new low point every day, Ginnie.

9:23 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I remember reading so much about this irresponsible and evil man. Yes, he and DJT had a lot in common. And none of it good.

5:30 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I was a kid when that was going on - but 'mature' enough to know a rat when I saw-or heard one.
More recently I watched one of my MSNBC people do a double segment on Roy Cohn and the Rump connection. With a mentor like that, how could DT be anything but what he is?
As our lives unwind, we are given so many opportunities to choose this path or that, to follow this mentor or that... the purity (or lack thereof) of our hearts tells us which way to go. Seems like the Rump tended to follow the Path of Shame in his pursuit of sex and easy money.
What baffles me - or maybe it tells me a lot- is why people who knew of his crooked ways, his cheating, his abusing, his lying - how they could still go and vote for him!
Was Hillary perfect? Heck, NO. Did I want to vote for her? Not really. But sometimes in life we have to pick the lesser of 2 evils. In this case the difference in the 2 of them was enormous. And why a woman would vote for him is beyond my comprehension.
Of course, he sees himself as an entertainer and manipulator. I truly doubt he sees that he has ever done any harm.
Sad.
Cohn? Bad.

7:54 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I remember the McCarthy era well and Cohns part in it. I didn't know about the Trump Cohn connection. Needless to say I'm not in the least surprised. Something about birds of a feather ...... Anyway one more appalling tidbit in a long and sordid story :(

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home