Thursday, August 31, 2017

9/2018 … Planning for a 68th year HIGH SCHOOL REUNION !!


I've only been to one of my High School reunions and that was in the year 2000. It was fun and I intended to go to more but life got in the way. So, when I received an email from Bill, our 1950 class President, I was once more drawn back to those amazing years.

Bill wrote that only 40 of us are still alive out of a class of 160 … a sobering statistic. It makes me want to partake in the festivities if I am physically able and I'll bet that's the same for most of my remaining classmates. It also brought back memories of my friend Gayle who, happily, is among the 40 still going strong.

In 1952 Gayle and I spent our summer break from college in California. We traveled there from Massachusetts by Greyhound and I will never forget that l-o-o-o-ng 5 day bus trip. By the time we landed in Los Angeles our ankles had swollen to twice their size and we could hardly walk. An active day or two got us back to our normal selves, however, and we did manage to get jobs as waitresses in the historic Pierpont Inn, in Ventura, overlooking the ocean.

That’s Gayle (on the left) and me in our waitress garb. It was hard work. We were taught to carry the big trays, loaded with food, balanced on our shoulder. By the end of the summer my right arm was actually larger than the left. But, the ambience and the clientele were delightful and the tips were plentiful…enough to enable us to fly home!

That was truly a magical summer and, with a little luck and some planning, I look forward to re-living it with Gayle at our 68th High School reunion in 2018.








9 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

How wonderful, Ginnie. All that heavy lifting must have been beneficial! That was quite the bus trip. I wonder how long that trip takes today?!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good luck to both you and Gayle in getting together for that 68th class reunion. Hopefully neither of you will have to take a bus ride to get there. Do you still keep in touch on a regular basis?

5:44 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh I hope you are able to make the trip and see Gayle- and the rest of the class that is there.
I had to smile when you mentioned your arm after carrying those trays... I was an art major - 4 years of carrying a drawing board under my arm - it just barely fit - made our arms longer on that side - seemed it was always carried under the left arm for me. The other majors used to joke about how you could tell the art majors from anyone else by the increased length of one arm. We thought it was better than the jokes about the other majors!

I have often thought about attending my class reunions, but never had the time. Go for it, girl! Have a safe trip!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Hey Possum ... the reunion isn't slated until NEXT YEAR so, I just hope I can stay well enough to make it through the next 12 months and then I'll worry about it being a safe trip.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Such a pretty girl you are. I do hope you go and take pictures. Our 60th is this year but I probably won't make it. I have two schools that claim me, both about 1000 miles away. Sigh. It is so sad how our numbers dwindle but I am so glad you friend is among the survivors. My best friend in one of the schools was named Gayle also.

10:50 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I have not returned for any of my high school class reunions. I still keep in touch with a couple of people I've remained friends with all these years. This year several classmates got together and decided to have a monthly lunch in my hometown. I was surprised at how many are still living there or have moved back there to retire. I might just go one of these and see so many faces from long ago. Not long after we graduated, all the high schools were consolidated, so our high school was no more.

7:37 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Fascinating! Have a good time...:)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

My daughter did a cross country trip once and has not been inclined to do it again.

3:33 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Lucky you to have a classmate to go off with you on an adventure. I had only 40 in my graduating class but soon moved out of state, so I've never had occasion to attend any reunions. I had lost contact with any classmates, but somehow connected with one many years later, then in recent years since the internet have connected with three others. We know many others are no longer living but aren't sure about some others. Hope you're able to attend the reunion and especially connect with your girlfriend from school.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home