Saturday, October 22, 2016

Mark Shields … in person and DELIGHTFUL !


I was privileged recently to attend a free lecture at our local Community College where the famed PBS political analyst, Mark Shields, was the speaker. As many of you know he is often paired with David Brooks on the PBS news. He speaks for the left and David the right and that gives us a broad view of the subject discussed.

The title of the Lecture was “The Challenge of Governing in a Polarized World”. Mr. Shields (who started his political career in 1968 working on the Robert F. Kennedy Presidential campaign) has covered the last 10 Presidents and it was fascinating getting his take on some of them. 

He is known for his wit and I think the funniest recollection that he shared with us was when President Reagan made his remark in 1981 “Trees cause more pollution than automobiles”, which of course was proved incorrect. Mr. Shields said shortly after his remark Reagan arrived at one of the California colleges to give a speech and was greeted by a large sign hanging off a tree that read “Cut me down now before I kill someone.”  

Although his talk was sprinkled with witticisms it was basically a serious look at the world as it evolves and our part in it. I found it to be one of those talks that I wished would not come to an end. A quote from The Wall Street Journal expresses it best for me. They called him “the wittiest political analyst around and frequently the most trenchant, fair-minded and thoughtful”. You can't ask for much more than that !

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

It sounds like a wonderful lecture by someone worth listening to.

6:55 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Wow... good for you! Wish I had been there, too!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Not familiar with him but he sounds like someone I would like to hear. Loved the tree sign.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Seems like a great guy. I am familiar with the face but have never really watched PBS news.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope his prepared talk was better than his extempoaneous comments on Friday nights. He and David Brooks are past their prime, I do believe.

7:56 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I do love the commentary between Shields and Brooks. I have actually stopped watching Newshour except on Fridays to listen to them. Or to hear Marcia Coyle's take on the Supreme Court.

I've become quite disappointed in Judy Woodruff and Gwen Ifil and their softball interviews. And I'm especially turned off by Lisa Desjardins who spouts unproven claims as if they were truths. She even quotes the Trump blog on occasion as "proof" that there are questions about something Hillary has done despite the fact that there is nothing there. So sad to see a previously objective show turn like the rest of the media. But I can always count on Mark Shields.

7:39 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I appreciate the News Hour comments of Shields and Brooks. They haven't hesitated to report being as fluxomed as all the other news people and the rest of us with the unpredictability of this election campaign. Don't know of any of those newscasters, commentators who were able to make much sense of it for most of this election season. Glad you could enjoy Shields appearance.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home