Monday, June 01, 2015

ICE CUBES ???? It really works.



I had an out-patient hernia repair 3 weeks ago that entailed a lot of bed rest at home and, since I live alone, my dear friends and family rallied ‘round and made it all possible. Cards, flowers and food were plentiful and appreciated.

One of my friends presented me with a problem however. She gave me this lovely orchid that you see here and, although I loved it, I had to tell her that I have never had any luck keeping an orchid plant alive. “Not to worry”, she replied, “ all you need is three ice cubes once a week.”


Wow…and the pictures prove it works. I started out with 7 blossoms open or opening and now all the buds have come to life …13 in all. I did some research and, of course, there are nay-sayers but. all in all it seems to be an acceptable and well known procedure. I have also found out that I am probably the only person alive who did not know this trick. 

Now that all the buds have come into bloom I am left to wonder how long I can keep this beauty alive …but at least I have a plan !   Thanks, Mary Kay.


7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Glad both you and the orchid are doing well.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have several orchid plants I've kept going for over two years. I killed several before I succeeded. The secret seems to be 'don't over water.' I also have them planted in tree bark that drains well and in low light. They love it. I feed them orchid food via the water the do receive. I hope your plant continues to do well. They are lovely things.

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wishing you a complete recovery, Ginnie, and there's nothing like family and friends to help with healing and recovery. I too am not great with plants, but your orchid is lovely and hole it continues to bring you joy for a long time.

5:26 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Be well and I didn't know that trick either...:)

11:10 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Lovely. My neighbor has tons of orchids and I love them. Maybe I'll give them a try. I've got plenty of ice cubes. Thanks for the tip.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I use the three ice cubes on our one orchid plant. It seems to do the trick.

5:22 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--I am a person with a proverbial green thumb but you have taught me something. I have not tried orchids--too touchy. Well, now I know.
Off to buy an orchid...

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home