Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A visit to the home of poet Carl Sandburg …

A friend and I had the pleasure this past weekend of visiting Connemara Farms, the 246 acre home in Flat Rock, North Carolina, where Carl Sandburg and his wife lived from 1945 to the time of his death 22 years later. It is a lovely spot, maintained as a National Historic site, and well worth the visit.

As you can see, the property is far from ornate and reflects the type of life that Sandburg loved… lots of seclusion and a house overflowing with books. It also provided his wife with 30 acres of pastureland that she needed to raise her champion dairy goats who are still in residence.

Carl Sandburg worked from the time that he was a young boy and never had much of a formal education but he had a powerful way with words. So many of his poems reflect his experiences and are first-hand experiences of the struggles between rich and poor, but; my favorites have always been his “handfuls”, as he called them. Here are two of my favorites:

FOG

The fog comes on little cat feet./
It sits looking over harbor and city
on silent haunches and then moves on.
                                                              

CHOOSE

The single clenched fist lifted and ready,
or the open asking hand held out and waiting.
                                 
Choose:     For we meet by one or the other.


 

 

8 Comments:

Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Did touring his house give you goose bumps? Places like that do me.
Both of those quotes are perfect.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a pleasant outing for you. You have included some nice little poems.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It looks like a beautiful place. I will have to visit there as I like his poetry much. Thank you for sharing about his home.

5:14 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Lucky YOU!
What a neat trip.
I do love his way with words.
Thanks for reminding me of the lines about hands. I may have to quote that in this week's Musings.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spending several years in NC schools, I was exposed to various Southern writers. Can't say Sandburg was a favorite, but I can still recite a poem or two he wrote...Fog and Grass.

Happy you enjoyed your visit. I love making pilgrimages to author's homes.

6:17 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We visit there often. It's great in all seasons but our favorite time is spring when the baby goats are born.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

One of my two favorite poets, the other is Robert Frost. What a nice trip you had, Ginnie, and nice to have shared with a friend as well

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a great poetry reader, but I could handle (Oops!) those 'handfuls'.

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home