Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Shakin' it up...


I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I find that I have less and less of an appetite the older I get. Living alone just exacerbates the situation. I know that I need to keep up my strength but it took a loving daughter to get me on the right track.

She introduced me to this Protein Shake and now it is my breakfast of choice every morning. It was obvious that I didn’t have the will power to eat right consistently and this is an easy way for me to get the essential vitamins and nutrients that I had been missing.

My daughter was careful to choose just the right combination of ingredients for me. She knew that I was on a restricted diet that did not include soy, milk, whites (such as white potatoes, white rice etc.) and that also cut way back on sugars. The 4 items that you see in the picture are the ones she chose and they work well for me.

Here is my recipe. I take the juice of one orange, ½ large banana and one tablespoon each of the Vegan Rice Protein, the Aloe Vera juice, the Flax Oil and the Source of Life Liquid and combine them all in my blender. I then add about ½ cup of unsweetened Silk Almond milk and 4 ice cubes. When it’s all mixed together this is what I get:

 
I have to admit that it took me a few tries to get used to the flavor but now it is part of my morning routine and I look forward to it.

I owe my daughter a lot for doing all the research and thought I would show my thanks by featuring the Protein shake in this cute glass that promotes the business that she and her husband have in Stanfordville, New York. If you are ever in the vicinity searching for antiques or used items drop in to Bowen Barn and tell them “Ginnie sent me.”
 

4 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

It does not sound appealing to me, but if it works for you, I am so happy!
I eat a piece of Ezekiel bread for my 1st breakfast with a cup of tea with a spoon of honey. 2 hrs later I have a bowl of oatmeal. I snack on fruit later in the day. I know I should avoid potatoes, but I haven't managed that yet! Good for you!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I like my shakes and smoothies for the evening meal. I eat my main meal at lunch.
Think I will give it a try.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I too have issues with food, although the other night when my son took me out to dinner, I had the best vegetable soup ever. Dianne

9:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I do a protein shake in the morning too. A great way to start the day.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home