Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Still puzzled …


My last blog entry was about the missing puzzle piece and how pleased I was to find it. I thought it was a pretty lame story and was actually surprised that I got 8 comments. However, it was interesting to note that 7 of them were from females and how they totally related to my story.

My one male comment was from Philip in Canada and he told me how much he loved putting puzzles together and then he said …“I have a big one framed on my wall. My dear older friend Délima and I did it together. When she died her daughter brought it by and said she wanted me to have it. I enjoy having it on my computer room wall to remind me of my interesting friend who I shared many hours with doing a puzzle and talking about her life on a farm and working as a cook in a logging camp.”  (here is the picture...)

 


Isn’t that wonderful? It reminded me of when I was a child. I was the youngest of 5 girls and we lived in a big, old house that had lots of room for puzzles and we would often have two going at one time. I think now of all the conversations that ensued while working on those puzzles. They would range from dating advice to a choice of College. To this day I find it easier to have a heart to heart talk while sharing a puzzle than just plain sitting in front of someone.

And I can’t finalize this memory without telling on my middle sister Nancy who was always the trickster of the family. She didn’t care for puzzles like the rest of us did. However, one of her favorite capers was to take just one puzzle piece and hide it somewhere in the room. She knew it would drive us crazy and it did. Time and time again we would think we were about to finish the puzzle…only to find a piece missing. Of course we were sure there was one person who could solve that mystery and I can hear it like it was yesterday. “N AAAAAANCY, get in here or ….(a threat, whatever would get to her most that week)”

10 Comments:

Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You honour me by quoting me. I am glad what I wrote stuck a cord with you. Doing a puzzle with someone is like sharing a coffee, an excuse to share a relationship and enjoy another's company.

I should write about my friend Délima some time. She was born in River Valley at a time before electricity or a road out of town in the Winter. Travel was by sleigh on the river in the Winter. Life was subsistence farming in the summer and logging in the Winter. Women stayed behind to maintain the farm and family, many families were very large ten to twenty children large. Life was hard but many hands could lighten the load. This small French Canadian bush town was self sufficient run by a priest with almost everyone related to every other family in town. It was a life style past, that I had romantic thoughts about but never could recreate on my farm. I have always been a dreamer.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

You honour me by quoting me. I am glad what I wrote stuck a cord with you. Doing a puzzle with someone is like sharing a coffee, an excuse to share a relationship and enjoy another's company.

I should write about my friend Délima some time. She was born in River Valley at a time before electricity or a road out of town in the Winter. Travel was by sleigh on the river in the Winter. Life was subsistence farming in the summer and logging in the Winter. Women stayed behind to maintain the farm and family, many families were very large ten to twenty children large. Life was hard but many hands could lighten the load. This small French Canadian bush town was self sufficient run by a priest with almost everyone related to every other family in town. It was a life style past, that I had romantic thoughts about but never could recreate on my farm. I have always been a dreamer.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Ha, she really knew what your button was.
I remember such fun family times as we all worked on a puzzle. Sadly I now have a cat who just can't resist scattering pieces everywhere so I now do mine on the computer at the free site JigZone.com. They are smaller and quick but do give me a fix.

3:33 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

My aunt credits jigsaw puzzles for saving the use of her hand. She had a stroke which affected her right side. She had always loved doing puzzles. So she decided to continue to do her puzzles, forcing her left hand to remain in her lap while she struggled to use the affected right one. It was extrememly frustrating but extremely successful. Her doctor was amazed at her clever idea and fierce determination.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I have visited your blog several times but always seemed to lack the time to comment. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.

And I liked very much the post about the puzzle piece. I have never liked puzzles but my mom and dad, as well as my brother and sister,did. So anything to do with puzzles brings nice memories to mind. They would try unsuccessfully to recruit me, of course. This post and the picture are touching.

The "rug" you painted was wonderful!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Regenia said...

I have visited your blog several times and have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. I always seemed to lack the time to comment. Today I want to make the time.

I have never liked puzzles. But my mom, dad, brother and sister did. So the topic brings nice memories. This man's story and the puzzle are wonderfully touching.

PS The "rug" you painted was beautiful!

5:52 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Great post. Mrs. T and I spend many hours doing puzzles together. It's our favorite winter activity along with reading. We've largely given up outdoor activities in the cold....:)

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I would have been tempted to give a sister who hid my puzzle pieces serious body harm. You were kinder than me. Dianne

9:02 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Just catching up on blog reading, Ginnie. I used to do puzzles over Christmas break with C. We enjoyed doing them. But it seems that now the computer takes up a lot of time. I miss those quiet times of just doing puzzles.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not a puzzle sort of guy although I am often both puzzled and puzzling. Does that count?

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home