Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Shakin’ the Shingles …

No, this isn’t a blog about the latest barn dance craze. It’s my way to say “Thank You” to all of you for hanging in there with me for the past 6 weeks. As soon as I got the diagnoses of Shingles I knew I was in for a siege but I really didn’t expect it to be so debilitating or to last so long.

I was interested to learn that the name Shingles derives from both the Latin and French words for belt or girdle. I can certainly relate to that since the pain, for me, is directly under my rib cage and feels just like someone has placed a 6” belt around that area and is tightening it vise-like until I can hardly breathe. Not fun !

On the plus side I have to admit that I am very thankful that my bout of Shingles is concentrated on my back and not in the facial area as it is for so many. I can’t imagine how painful that would be.

To be honest I still have a ways to go but I am definitely coming out on the other side and can accomplish more each day. As you know I relied on posting repeats of some of my oldest blog entries because I just didn’t have the strength of mind to think up new ones. The fact that you still reread and, in many cases, re-commented means a lot to me.

Bloggers and blog-readers are special people !

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I didn't really know anything about the disease, but your description of it doesn't make it sound like fun. Hugs.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

It's terrible and very painful. When I had it 15 years ago, it started on my forehead, over my eye. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm glad yours is letting up. Though you may feel occational twinges for weeks afterwards, it sounds like you are past the most miserable part. I certainly hope so. Hang in there, and feel free to re-post whenever you choose.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I so feel for you. I had it also but mine only lasted three weeks. It gives one a new perspective of pain and pure discomfort.
When I had mine I urged everyone to get the shot. Sadly it is really expensive and most of us take our chances. I understand it is possible to get shingles again. I can't get good info if the shot would prevent a second bout.
Lets hope you and I are not in that group.
Hope you are soon totally free.

12:07 PM  
Blogger tomorrows way said...

My thoughts and prayers and concerns continue to be with you till you are over this nasty thing. Ginnie your the best don't let it get get you down!

12:32 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Glad to read things are getting better!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So glad to read that you are feeling better, Ginnie. Lately, I have been hearing much about shingles and none of it pleasant. Thanks for the information as well.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I've not had the shingles ever, but you confirm what I have heard about it being very painful. Glad that you are getting better.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home