Friday, August 02, 2013

Not cheap…just thrifty !


I’ll bet this looks like a well-worn paper backed book of puzzles to you and you would be correct ! However it’s much more than that to me.

This gem is one of the best bargains I’ve every found. I am an inveterate worker of crossword puzzles … averaging at least one a day for many years. Not only do I enjoy them but I am convinced that they help to keep the mind active and, hopefully, stave off a bit of the aging process.

About two years ago I saw this book on Amazon and quickly did some math. Including shipping it cost approx $17 and, considering that there are 1001 puzzles featured, it ended up costing about a  penny and a half per puzzle !!! That was enough to convince this tight fisted New Englander to buy it.

However I was pleased to find another benefit to owning this book.. As you see here there are 4 puzzles to each 8 ½ x 11 inch page …

 
The paper they are printed on is a sturdy, matte finish and I found that I could easily tear out a page or two, fold them and carry them in my purse. That way I would always have a puzzle on hand when caught in a waiting room with nothing to read but “Golf Digest” or “Field & Stream” !

These 1001 puzzles are the first ones that Will Short edited for the New York Times, from 1993 to 1997. He states, in his introduction, that “this book will last a looooog time” and I concur. It’s given me many hours of enjoyment and I still have over 300 puzzles yet to solve !

6 Comments:

Blogger possum said...

I bet I can be even cheaper than you! I have been known to copy puzzles to take them with me... slipping them into notebooks I HAD to have for boring conferences. I do that with Sudoku, too. After all, a month from now I won't remember the puzzle. Shoot, I won't remember it tomorrow! LOL!
But that was a GOOD purchase, Ginnie!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

What a nice surprise. My dad was an avid and quite good puzzle man. He was good enough to do them in ink. Not me.
Enjoy your bonanza.

1:39 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Great bargain! I love crossword puzzles although I can hardly ever complete the Sunday NY Times.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Not only a bargain, but a lasting one as well.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...


I enthusiastically start but I am soon defeated by these frustrating puzzles. I have great admiration for those who finish them and even more admiration for those who create them.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I was into CW's for awhile, but I'm not very good at them.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home