Monday, August 26, 2013

An “oldie”, but a “goodie” … 1907... MY MOTHER AND TEDDY


In January, 1907, this adorable picture of my mother and her pet rooster were featured in a “Boston Globe” newspaper article. It reads as follows: 

“Roosters are not unknown as pets, but little Ruth P. of West Brattleboro, Vt., has an exceptional rooster, Teddy, in that he will allow her to do anything she may wish with him.

The way this little mistress manages her bird playfellow is extremely interesting. She never punishes him because he never needs a rebuke. She speaks to him in a quiet tone, but there is in her eyes a certain power of the will, a power which is rare in children, which forces him to submit to her kind, though sometimes odd, treatment.

In the morning he struts into the kitchen and with a jolly “crowing” he mounts the low table at Ruth’s command, steps into the washbowl and patiently submits to a sponging with soap and water. After shaking his feathers a bit he is dried off with a towel and then brushed until his coat shines bright and clean.

Then follows another of her favorite pastimes. She hitches Teddy to her small doll-cart and drives her noble steed by “gee” and “haw” out through the woodshed, down the front yard to the sidewalk for a jaunt... both child and bird with tiny white hoods crowning their heads.

Ruth has had this strange comrade for several years and has trained him entirely herself. Teddy shows a great fondness for his mistress and obeys her without the least hesitancy.”

**********************************************************
(I apologize to those who have read this before but I thought it much kinder to repeat a pleasant blog entry than to write a miserable one about my newly diagnosed case of Shingles. !!! I find my mind as well as my body is on shut-down mode and the pain meds make me loopy so this will probably be the first of “repeats” for a few weeks. )  

11 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

The story is adorable and it is wonderful that you have the article and photo to share.

Shingles is terrible and I wouldn't wish it on an enemy, much less a friend. I am sorry, Ginnie. I hope you got on the meds soon enough for it to make a difference.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you have shingles! I had shingles and consider it more painful than childbirth. Yes, pain pills can make us loopy, that's for sure. Do whatever it takes to get through this, and don't worry whether anything you post is a repeat. Even if you don't post a thing, I'll be here waiting until you get back. By the way, you mother sounds great, and I enjoyed reading her story.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

This is a truly delightful story and I am so happy you reran it.
I am SO SORRY however that you have shingles. I had them and was ever grateful for the pain meds that at least let me sleep. I do hope you have a short bout.
Be well soon.

6:06 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Oh dear! Shingles. Hope you are better soon. It's a beast.

The photograph and story are adorable.

7:03 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Ginnie, reading this post about your darling mother is wonderful and I don't mind rereading it in the least. It is such a precious gem of the heart.
I am so sorry to hear that you have shingles. Knock on wood, I have never had them, but do know that it is extremely painful. Take good care and I send love times ten your way.

9:55 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

What a wonderful story and not so wonderful ailment. Our sympathy goes to you, Ginnie and hoping it so goes away....

5:54 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First time reading this story for me and it was really sweet. Seems your mother and her pet shared an extra-special bond. Sorry to read about your shingles and hope you will be feeling better with meds and not too "out of it" but maybe that wouldn't be so bad if it helps the pain.

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful. As a keeper of parrots and one who grew up with chickens, I know they can be wonderful pets. Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo of your Mom. Dianne

11:12 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Amazing. I don't remember this. Sorry about your troubles.

5:06 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I don't remember this one... how neat! I had a pet chicken, Chi-chi. It is great to hear of another pet - rooster. Mine was not as clever as your mom's, but then I probably did not have the POWER she had!
Loved it!

4:28 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hope that you will feel better. Take care of yourself.

Love the story about the rooster and your mom.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home