Thursday, December 27, 2012

Consumed with hatred …


Isn’t this incredible? If I didn’t know better I’d think these signs were posted in some backwards section of the country. The misspelling (liers) and the crammed in lettering seems to speak of illiteracy or, at the very least, bigotry and fear of change.

But, no … these placards and others that were even more inflammatory before President Obamas election, are actually posted on the lawn of a family living in an affluent section of the county where I live. I can’t imagine how this must affect their neighbors … especially in this holiday season when most of the other houses are displaying Christmas decorations.

I am amazed that the governing body of that town doesn’t insist that they take the signs down; but they are probably afraid of a court case being brought against them if they did. I can just imagine that anyone with the chutzpah to put up this kind of garbage would be the first to cry “You are denying my rights … I’ll sue !!”

Hatred … defined as “intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury” … it will kill us as a nation if we allow it to fester …

but how do we fight it ????









8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ignorance and hatred seem to go together.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love you, Ginnie. I appreciate you giving a voice to those of us who are not focused on hate and adversity.

Chris

10:50 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Even if you could persuade the governing body to have such hateful signs taken down, the people who put them up would blame Obama, not the local authorities. And it would simply confirm their belief that the R.I.P for our country is true.
I do have grave fears for the level of ignorance and hatred in the U.S. and what it portends for our country.

1:21 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Just because someone has managed to get a house in a 'better" part of town doesn't mean they have any education - or good sense.
Hatred doesn't care what neighbor it is in.
And those signs fall under the First amendment provision in most town ordinances. As long as they don't contain any profanity, they are legal.
And there is no law about sounding or looking stupid.

At least you know who to avoid!

10:22 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ignoring it is one way. If people like that do not get any reaction to their nasty thoughts, they will eventually give up (or so I hope.)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One way to fight hatred is to return it with kindness. I heard all sorts of despicable and outrageous things about Romney in the last election.

Remember if someone tosses you a ball of Sh** you have three choices:

1/ Return it and expect it back in spades;

2/ Hold it to your bosom and smell it (i.e. dwell on it).

3/ Let it drop and ignore it.

Giving publicity to thes stunts won't help anyone. Dianne

7:06 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I'm going with ignoring it. Despicable as it is....

1:49 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I don't think that there is any way to fight it. But I keep in mind that the people of this country have elected Mr. Obama twice. That means a lot and it was by a significant amount. To me, he is a great man. I am powerless over what others think but know in my heart what a great person he is.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home