Monday, July 23, 2012

The majestic barred owl* … He gets the last word !



It’s a rare treat to see an Owl during the daylight hours so I was thrilled to have it happen on my last trip North to visit my daughter and her husband in New York.

I was inside the house when my son-in-law came in and motioned for me to come out front … “but be quiet” he indicated. The minute I was outside I could see why.

There was a very large Barred Owl perched on the tip of a tall pole near their driveway. These birds, though basically nocturnal, will hunt even before dark if there is prey on the ground that excites them and such was the case here.

My kids had let the chickens out of their cage for a bit of exercise and, luckily, they spied the owl before he could do any harm. However a funny thing happened.

As the owl, practically drooling, looked down on the chicks, my daughter shook her fist at him and shouted: “you stay away from my girls”. At which point the owl turned his beady eye in her direction and then, lifting his tail, let loose a large watery turd.

“…and that’s what I think of that”, he seemed to be saying before he spread his wings and nonchalantly flew away.

* The National Geographic, Illustration by Donald L. Malick

10 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad the owl didn't get any dinner and that you got a view of him, Ginnie.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That's pretty funny Ginnie! I think Owls are just beautiful and besides at a zoo, I've never seen one up close! Love Di ♥

4:42 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, too funny.
Is the owl illustration yours, by any chance?

4:47 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

We often hear owls in the woods, but have not seen one. Our dogs were really surprised when they heard their first screech owl. It really upset them but now they are used to them.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I love owls. A large barred owl nests at night in the large tree two houses over. One morning I looked up and he was flying with a dozen blackbirds (crows) in pursuit. He looked like a flying teddy bear.

The crows had disturbed him from his daytime rest because they are sworn enemies. I followed the pack for several blocks before I saw them veer off over Arlington Cemetery. Hopefully the owl found a better place to roost. Dianne

1:02 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I haven't seen many owls in my life, but there is one that lives in the trees between my son's house and his neighbor. It preys on their tiny chihuahuas, so they have to keep them indoors.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What a great treat to see such a great bird. I have seen Snowy Owls around here. Some years they come this far south otherwise their natural range in further north. I was once startled by a creature flying by the side window of my truck and then in front of me. It was dusk but it could not have been anything other than a Great Grey Owl.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We once saw one in the woods in the daytime. It was a neat experience but not as neat as yours.

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

I think that we are attracted to owls because they are the only birds who have eyes facing forward, just like us.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

They are magnificent!

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home