Saturday, October 22, 2011

My daughter’s 50th UN-Birthday party !


Well, that’s me…dancing at my daughter’s big bash just 3 days before I drove home, fell and fractured my femur. Now it’s 3 weeks later and I feel well enough to finally write all about it !

Late in Sept. I headed North to attend my daughter’s 50th UN birthday celebration. She had been greatly affected by the TV pictures of the poor Somalian children and wanted to do her part so, instead of receiving gifts, she decided to host a FUNdraiser for Doctor’s Without Borders and the children of Somalia.



Their antique shop (a three story converted cow barn) is located in Dutchess County, NY and open only on weekends, so they decided to utilize that and the party was held from 1 to 5 in their place of business on Saturday, Oct. 1st.

They had hired the musical group “Gypsy Jazz Caravan” from NY City and they proved to be an enormous success. Their music is based on the music of the 1930’s with a definite Parisian twist. We all enjoyed their music and it was fun to sing along as they played. I think the band enjoyed it almost as much as we did.

Here is an overview and you can see that the audience just settled in among the antiques. I laughed at one point when I saw my son-in-law come in and transfer a guest from one chair to another. It seems he’d just sold the chair that he was sitting on ! (Business must go on!)



It took months of preparation between the invitations, the food, the music and the rearrangement of their shop; but it was an outstanding success and one that will be remembered for a very long time. When all was said and done they raised over $4,000 for Doctor’s Without Border’s !

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Do I unCongratulate your daughter. Nope. Congrats to both you for being such fine human beings.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

This is a great story (with great photos), and I'm glad you are back and feel like posting on your blog.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Wow!! I would have loved this party, and I don't like parties as a rule. I assume you had THR? David fell at age 79 and broke his hip, or it could have been the other way around. The doctors never decided. He has a new hip and is still getting used to it. Dianne

8:26 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Sounds like a lovely party. The raising money for Somalia relief was such a wonderful thing to do.

11:34 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Hey Ginnie, Send me her address and I will send a donation!
My UnBirthday is in Sept, too.
A friend and I used to send each other nonBirthday cards each year, the nuttier the better. We also sent the same card back and forth for about 10 years.
SO GLAD YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!

4:40 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Bravo!! to your daughter and happy un-birthday also. I hope you are doing better now, ginnie

5:00 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, welcome back and glad to read you are feeling better. What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. This year we are requesting that folks who may want to buy us a gift, instead donate to their favorite charity or we can suggest one of our favorites. Definitely need more of these un-celebrations!

6:55 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Such a noble deed. Glad you are ok now.

5:11 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Doctors Without Borders is our favorite charity. What a fine thing your daughter did. You must be proud.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

A wonderful and generous idea. Hope that she enjoyed her special day. Glad that you are doing better.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home