Friday, August 26, 2011

Another mini-vacation…



Here is my son Matt in front of the lovely columbarium in Beaufort, South Carolina that he completed four years ago. You can tell by his grin that he’s pretty happy with the results.

We were there because the church added an additional unit and his job was to put on the finishing touches. Happily he‘d asked me to come along for the ride. You may remember that we did the same thing last April … but it was to the mountains of North Carolina that time.

The pictures show how it’s done. The mason follows a specific plan and then Matt adds the decorative “doors“ … usually in granite or marble.





Each niche is a storage area for the cremated remains and the granite doors are engraved with the particulars just like a traditional gravestone.

Matt loves this type of work and I love the fact that he takes me with him. It’s a win-win situation for us both !

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That does bring back some vague recollections. :)

1:43 PM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Glad you were able to get away. I do love the design.

4:37 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I think we know where he got some of his artistic tendencies.

5:22 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

He certainly creates beauty.
How wonderful to spend time together.
Stay safe!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

What a lovely bit of work, and I learned a new word today. Thanks for the update to my vocabulary. Lucky you able to travel with your son. Dianne

11:54 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Very nice workmanship once again. Matt is a talented artisan that's for sure.

2:40 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

He does wonderful work, Ginnie. I am glad you get to go with him.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Beautiful work, Ginnie. Where is the church? I so enjoyed the week long visit to Beaufort back in April.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home