Monday, August 22, 2011

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES ...


A dear friend who has passed away told me how this incident changed his life. I always think of it when I remember him and thought you might enjoy it too.

He was in his twenties and his wife had left him in charge of their three year old daughter. It was close to Christmas so he thought it would be great fun to go shopping for presents with her. He could just imagine the joy that his little girl would experience when she saw the myriad of gifts that he planned to buy for her.

She was a typically active three year old and he was a bit of an absent minded professor so his wife insisted that he use a harness when they went shopping. This was a safety device that fit very much like a vest and had a strong cord attached so that she could wander only as far as he allowed. This proved to be very handy and he was able to let her meander along while he picked out presents.

But the venture wasn’t turning out like he’d imagined. She barely smiled and didn’t seem particularly interested in any of the toys that he showed her. He persevered, however, and his cart was almost overflowing with goodies when he checked out. With great care he maneuvered his little girl and the packages out to the car.

As he opened the trunk and was putting the gifts inside he felt a tug on the harness cord. He turned to see that his little child was squatting on the pavement. He forgot the packages and rushed to her side, afraid that she’d been injured in some way.

Much to his surprise she looked up at him with a radiant smile on her face and pointed to what was fascinating her. It was a single flower pushing it’s way up through a small crack in the pavement... a gift more precious to her than all the ones that he had bought !

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A child shall lead them.

6:30 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

You bet, Dear Ginnie. I know it was.

9:04 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

I'm sure it taught him a great lesson!! Sweet story.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

What a lovely story. Children have a way of reminding you of what is important. Dianne

7:44 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Simple is always better.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Ginnie,

Lovely real life story. It is amazing how children find immense happiness in little things and not in expensive gifts that we buy them. Once I bought an expensive gift for my son and I hoped he will play with it and take care of it. But to my horror I found after a few hours he had dismantled the toy and trying to assemble it again. He could not do it and my money was wasted.

Best wishes,
Joseph

6:30 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I guess I am still a child. I love to look for the small details around me. When canoeing I often creep along close to shore so I can look at the tiny flora and fauna. Even while driving a care I am scanning the ditches to look at the shrubs and weeds there. My city friends say the roads are surrounded by trees and rocks which all look alike. I never think so as I look for small distinctive features.

I am thinking of you and the hufficane on the way. I trust you are far enough inland to miss the worst of it. Take care as best you can.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, I hope that you are safe. Thinking of you in this weather.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home