Tuesday, July 05, 2011

My front porch comes alive …



This is my little house and you can see that it sits near the road and has a small porch with a concrete floor. The floor was gray and dull and, although we lived with it like that for many years, I always felt it could be livened up.

As you regular readers know I love to decorate with paint. I actually have a small business called “Snowflakes”. I create custom designs for my clients and this can come in many forms such as in murals, painted furniture and faux painted rugs. The inside of my house reflects this and, about 5 years ago, I decided to bring the “fun” outside too.

After I took all the measurements I was able to map out my design. Since the concrete had never been treated I decided to use just plain exterior gloss house paint on it. I felt sure it would soak in and, with two coats of paint, it did and it’s held up very well. I touched it up about 3 years ago and then this past Spring I scrubbed it down and gave it a complete new coat. Here’s the result:



Now I’m set for another few years and I even got an additional
bonus that I didn’t expect. As I was painting it many passers-by stopped to chat and to ask me for ideas for their patio or garage or cellar floors. My refurbished floor has not only brightened up my porch … it’s also added a whole new batch of acquaintances !

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are such a smart and creative cookie.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Caddie said...

Why Ginnie, this is just beautiful! And you say you're how old? I don't believe it! When I get down, especially on concrete, don't know if I'll ever rise again.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Great work, but how is your back ?

7:49 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

And it's a way to advertise your business?
I do love the design.
Your house looks quite charming.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Absolutely gorgeous Ginnie. You have a real talent. And, I want your house. Dianne

10:52 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Beautiful Ginnie. What you have created is stunning.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I love your creative design on what otherwise was a dull concrete stoop.

It reminds me of the work of Maude Lewis. http://www.homeoffolkart.com/2010/03/maud-lewis-the-grandma-moses-of-canada/

She was a "primative artist in Nova Scotia. She painted cheerful scenes on everything including all the interior surfaces of her house.
It was very tiny and when she died it wasn moved into a museum.

5:50 AM  
Blogger possum said...

I LOVE IT!
That is great! Sooooooo creative!
Good for you!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great looking front porch, Ginnie. Do you plan to sit out there too?

6:13 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That is very beautiful Ginnie. I wish I had thought of it. I just painted our porch all one color!
Love Di ♥

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home