Saturday, June 18, 2011

SMALL SPACE LIVING … and a solution.



I live in a small house with no useable attic or cellar area so storage has always been a problem. I do have a pantry and an area where I have my washer and dryer and lots of shelves for things like paints, household items, etc, but, other than that I only have two medium sized closets. (Plenty of space for me now but a challenge when the whole family was here.)

The house didn’t have an indoor bathroom when it was built in 1902 and the one it had when we bought it in 1978 was very rudimentary. It was wedged at the end of the wide central hallway and actually had a door in it that opened to a small porch.

It was my husband who came up with the idea of enclosing the porch and using that area for storage. That was a great idea but after remodeling the existing bathroom I didn’t want an ugly old door on the INSIDE of that room. We tossed ideas around and I think it was my oldest son who came up with the idea of the “hidden door”... and here it is:



This is my shelf door and it’s held many different displays over the years…(especially nice at Christmas time). Right now the bathroom theme is Mexican. And here you see that it is, indeed, a door and opens right into the storage area.



This was a clever and easy way to solve our problem.

Almost no one realizes that it’s actually a door and I’ve had fun with that over the years. I even have a friend who brought her grandchildren over to see if they could find my “secret room” ...

... which they didn’t, by the way !

9 Comments:

Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, so totally cool. I have never seen a "hidden" door. I have seen pocket doors--and love them--but not a disguised door.
Necessity still is the parent of invention, no?

1:50 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I LOVE it! How brilliant!
On the other hand, it would have been handy to be able to go potty quickly from the porch! LOL!
Ah, the joys of old age....
Having a similiar house, (2 closets) I built storage barns.
I like your idea better, but also wish I had a porch.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

That is so neat Ginnie, your son is very cleaver! Now everyone will be wanting their own "Hidden Door"!
I just love that!! Love Di ♥

4:28 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Ginnie, what a delightful blog. I love old houses and hidden nooks. I turned a living room closet and a little archway entrance from the living room into the kitchen into a pantry. Maybe I will put shelves on the outside which faces the kitchen and then ask great-grandchildren if they can find the hidden room? Dianne

11:11 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

From a small kid, I always wanted a secret room or passageway in my home!! You are lucky.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's very clever indeed. Small spaces build character as well.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Clever use of space, Ginnie, and very creative.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

A hidden door...magical! Love what you've done with it.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is the neatest thing. It is like a real hidden door to a secret room. I like that a lot. Very clever!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home