Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE … a senior’s thought process.





My mother and the American flag ... why do I pair them here? Because they conjure up a fond memory and one that I’d like to share with you.

This picture of my mother is when she was in her early 80’s. I wish I had one when she was 92 (when my story takes place) but this will have to do.

She was really a wonderful mother and you can see that she had a sweet demeanor. She outlived my father by many years and was quite independent until inevitably she had to move to an assisted living area and finally, in her 90’s to a nursing home.

It was at this time that she completely lost her memory. Of course this saddened us but she was quite content so we’d hide our sense of loss when we visited and she was always happy to see us, although she had no idea that we were her daughters.

I remember so clearly the lovely Spring day that I took her for a short wheelchair ride outside. We stopped near a bench where I could sit and, although I tried to keep up a happy dialogue, I could tell that Mother was agitated about something. “It’s wrong...all wrong...” she kept muttering and I had no idea what she meant.

Finally she pointed to the flagpole and it became clear. There was our beloved American flag UPSIDE DOWN on the pole. The interesting part is that the flag was in full view for everyone coming and going from the rest home but it was my mother who caught the flaw. She may have lost her memories but she knew when something wasn’t right!

They never could figure out how the flag was hoisted up that way but they soon put it to right and thanked my mother mightily for her keen eyesight.

6 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

It is amazing to me what some can remember when we think all their memories are lost. She was lovely, and reminds me of my Aunt Ruby (who married my mother's brother.)

7:55 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

Absolutely amazing how these things happen. What a wonderful memory of a special time. Yes, she looks very sweet. I hope I look so good if I live to be her age. Dianne

10:45 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Good for your mother. It is interesting how memory works (and doesn't work). I often have to research a word on the computer that I could not recall on my short term memory. I need to keep lists now.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Approximately if not exactly the right time of year for a post about the flag. We often look without seeing, or is it seeing without looking.

4:55 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a sweet memory of your mother.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Ginnie, thanks for your thoughts and kind words. I am sure that it was difficult for you to see your mom lose her memory. But she knew that something wasn't right. Bless her heart.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home