Monday, May 02, 2011

HUBCAP MANIA !!!

For some reason I’ve become enthralled with hubcaps. It all began with my last car. This was a pre-owned Acura that had wintered in Massachusetts and the wear and tear really showed on the hubcaps. I figured this was no big deal and that I would just replace them ... but, little did I know how pricey that would be !

Even the little (less than 3”) center cap that I wanted was priced at $30 EACH.



As it turned out it’s a good thing I didn’t waste the money because that’s the car that was totaled. Now I’ve replaced the car and my current hubcaps are in much better shape ... and they even have the little emblem in the center.



So now I’m all set … right ??

Wrong ! I find that my obsession with hubcaps continues even though the need for them is gone.

It’s become a game that I play while I am on the road. I am fascinated with the fact that a round circle could have so many configurations. Just when I think I’ve seem them all, I spot a new design. It’s endless.



I really do need to get a life ...

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You'd be very disappointed up here in winter when we all put on our winter tires. Usually we have them on extra rims -- very plain ugly rims with no pretty caps.

4:11 AM  
Blogger TAAAF said...

There's something about circles that satisfies the human mind. I've seen hubcaps so complex, they resembled a mandala.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Do people still steal hubcaps in the USA ? I believe that at one time it was 'big business' in some cities ?

8:16 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Isn't it funny what takes our attention and how we can get fixated on a certain thing? You could do a lot worse!!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins.wordpress.com said...

Interesting. I never gave hubcaps a second thought until I met my husband. When he moved in with me, one of his boxes held the hubcaps from the Porche that he had restored only to have some woman total it at the grocery store. Dianne

12:35 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We all need our fixations, Ginnie, and hubcaps are interesting in ways I never thought of before.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

You can go to the Mag Wheel store and be even more amazed. Now there are some fancy and expensive hubcaps. I like the ones on my BMW. Really cool.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

I've meant for years to hang my collection of hubcaps on the side of my barn. You have given me a nudge.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home