Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Too close for comfort …




I am always on the lookout for interesting bits of information that I think will make a good blog entry … but this time I would have gladly forgone the story if this had never happened.

It was the 16th of April and we knew that storms and possible tornados were on the way. The sky turned that ominous slate greenish/gray and the trees were nearly bent to the ground by the force of the wind. It was a frightening feeling but our State experiences it about every year at this time so it was not a new phenomenon.

My son-in-law advised me to get to one of the back rooms since we have a very large tree that bends over my house and he could just see it landing on the roof above where I was sitting. However the worst of it passed and we breathed a sigh of relief, until …

We turned on the TV ! Then we couldn’t believe what we were seeing. Barely 25 miles north of us the damage was unbelievable. The Lowe’s Home Improvement Store was flattened beyond recognition and reports of other tornado touch-downs were flooding in. Complete trailer parks were wiped out and wind damage alone caused havoc. It was reported that over 60 tornado touch-downs were sighted. They still, as of this writing, don’t have the total fatality count.

I was concerned for my blogger friend Kenju who lives in Raleigh and dropped her an email. She said, in her reply, “The tornado that tore up 401 going north narrowly missed my place of employment. I left there today at 3:10pm and got home about 3:45. The tornado went through that same area at about 3:35-3:40 and followed me on my route home…it gives me the willies to know that I drove ahead of that storm by only about 20-30 minutes.”

Amen to that …

and heartfelt condolences go out to the others who were not so fortunate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad you're okay.

6:41 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks for the mention, Ginnie, and I am so happy that you sustained no damage either. So many were very unfortunate that day, all over the state.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They're scary things. They used to happen on occasion in our former locale.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I was worried about you with all that stormy weather. I have blogging friends in Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina so every time there is one of those tornado generating storms I wonder and worry.

We do not be many tornadoes around here. The last serious one was in 1972. I have sat in my truck while small ones passed over that only caused relatively small amounts of damage.

I thought the best place to be is in the bath tube covered with a mattress.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie, I am so glad you and Kenju both are fine. So many sustained such terrible damage.

Tornados are fierce

6:58 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Whew, that was a terrible storm. Three people died in my hometown in Virginia and the old highschool that I attended was hit hard and torn up. Glad that you are okay!

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Glad that you missed the worst of it Ginnie.
I once drove through a tornado when on a visit to the US, at least the locals told me that's what it was when I came out the other side just about in one piece.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm glad that you're o.k. Ginnie. The tornado was about 2 miles from my daughters house. They are fine but she called me right after it happened and was pretty shook up.
Love Di ♥

9:38 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh my goodness, Ginnie. I was wondering about the various bloggers I know who live in the areas hit by tornados last week.
Glad you are safe--and of course so sorry for those who lost lives and homes.

1:06 PM  
Blogger possum said...

It was a scary situation - so glad you made out all right.
The Chesapeake Bay saved us once again, but they were not so lucky across the Bay.
Today is cold - 51 degrees, down a bit from the mid 80s of the other day! Certainlky glad you are OK!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home