Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The ravages of age …



I painted this picture about 22 years ago. I loved the configuration of the old tobacco barn and I was enamored with the fact that it was constructed with over-sized hand-made bricks. I would love to have seen it being built.

As many of you know I enjoy traveling the back roads in my car and it’s fun to come upon these scenes and try to imagine what life was like back then when this was brand new.

Of course, our country is very young in relation to the rest of the world but we still have our ruins and I was sad to note that this had become one of them. These recent photos say it all …







However, when I think it over, I am surprised to see that the barn is still standing … albeit just barely. Both of the side additions have fallen away and the bricks are crumbling and coming apart at the seams.

I wish I knew if the demise of the building was sheer neglect or if the owner just can’t bear to part with what’s left of that bit of local folk lore. I prefer to think it is the latter.

9 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

It's pro0bably neglect (as so many buildings attest) but I prefer to think it is your second option.
Nice painting!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Nice painting. Are those pine cones on the ground or something else?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ginnie said...

Yes, AC, the ground was littered with pine cones.

6:23 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I agree with Kenju--it probably is neglect.
We value buildings here (in the U.S.) so little. We think nothing of tearing something down to build up another something.
So, the old barn stands--hurray. But it will go someday--as you say: the ravages of age.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I find abandoned buildings in disrepair to be very sad. I think that houses have souls too.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

In Northern Ontario there are may ghost towns as towns often only exist because there is a mine or lumbering operation in the area. When the resource is exhausted people move on. Company towns are and mills are sometimes just abandoned. Many are deliberately completely taken down so that the forest may take over. Some sites that should be preserved as part of our history are just destroyed. In future years, we will regret this I am sure. Other countries seem to celebrate their historic ruins and their history. We often just exploit the resource and move on as if nothing of human significance went on here.

5:57 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Nice painting! I would like to know the size of the building... home made bricks??? How large is that door?
I LOVE old buildings - even what we call old in the USA... having lived in the Cradle of Civilization in the Middle East, we used to play in the ruins of Hittites, Assyrians, Sumerians... This barn would be very modern, indeed!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Your painting was very nice Ginnie and I really loved that we were able to see the comparison. I too have a thing for old buildings and houses Ginnie! Love Di ♥

3:31 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I find it amazing how structures stand the test of time and test of mother natures fury, yes, even fire.
We were four wheel driving out bush a few months back and remnants of houses were left behind the wake of a fire..the only thing standing was the chimney..my they make them so good!
Lovely painting too. you are an amazing artist!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home