Thursday, November 05, 2009

Reunion with AMY …



In the late ‘60’s my husband and I and our three children were living in Dutchess County, NY. We had a small real estate agency and it was through an ad in the NY Times that we had the privilege to meet Amy and her husband Herbert.

Over the years, as we got to know them better, we learned that they had met in a concentration camp during WW II. They were a fascinating couple and we became close friends. My husband came to think of Herbert as his surrogate father.

Now it is over 40 years later and Herbert and my husband have both passed on. Amy is almost 90 but she still remains as bright and vigorous as ever. She speaks many languages, reads better in French than in English and often travels to Holland and Israel.

My daughter, who still lives in the area with her husband, has kept our friendship with Amy on-going. Just last month our oldest son also rekindled the relationship when he helped to remodel her deck.

Amy has an apartment in NY City where she spends most of her weekdays but her country home is her true love. (You can see the lovely view that she has.) Two Sundays ago, while visiting with my children up there, I surprised her with a phone call and a short visit. Both of us were thrilled to get caught up over a cup of coffee and some cookies.

I did notice, however, that there were two very lovely wine glasses on the table and Amy said she wanted to open a special bottle of champagne to toast to our long friendship. I really felt bad when I had to say, “Amy, it’s been over 20 years since I’ve had anything alcoholic and I don’t want to jeopardize that.” To say that she was surprised is an understatement but she took it well and we clinked our coffee cups instead !

I treasure the times that we have together and wouldn’t be surprised if she’s still around when I near 90!

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You're very strong, Ginnie. Way to be!

5:47 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

I really enjoy reading your posts. They took me to travel long before I was born into this world.

They gave a good insight with such beautiful scribes, pictures and your eloquent language never left me bored.

You have such a great memory of your past and you certainly have lots to share... I respect you for this.

Glad to know you have great friend like Amy and still keep extending the relationship until today.

Wish her well.

8:36 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

How wonderful that you and she can visit and catch up on your longtime friendship!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is such a privilege to know wonderful remarkable people. Your friend Amy seems to be such a person. The journey her life has taken must fill her with wonderment daily.

There are few death camp survivors left. Another 10 or 20 years will see them gone along with all the soldiers that liberated Europe. There years of witness to history passing on to recorded history in books and movies and recordings. Future generations will have to work hard to know what was done in those dark times.

When I was a teenager I spent several summers going to a beach on Lake Simcoe, north of Toronto. Nearly every adult, it seemed, of the right age, carried a tatooed number on their arm. Death Camp survivors all. It always impressed me. I only wish I had gotten to know a couple of them and have them share their story.

9:50 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--it is so wonderful that you were able to connect again with someone who meant so much to you.
And she sounds like a true friend--rolling with whatever, and switching to coffee for a celebratory drink. Why not coffee indeed!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad you added her picture to this post.

Have you talked about what she thinks of the anniversary of the taking down of the wall in Berlin?

9:03 AM  
Blogger azahar said...

Good friends are difficult to find. So, when you have one, please be good to him/her. It is good to know that you have been doing just that.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home