Saturday, November 22, 2008

FLYING HIGH on NOV. 5th


I was literally flying high on Nov. 5th. My oldest son and I were on a plane leaving Heathrow Airport in London headed to Rome. I was elated about the Presidential election of the day before and just as we settled into our seats the man in front of us took out his newspaper.

It was The Daily Telegraph of Britain and under the headline declaring “The Dream Comes True” was this touching photo of Barack Obama and his wife Michelle. It brought tears to my eyes. I was watching history in the making and it was exhilarating. Yet, I couldn’t help but think of the treacherous path that they are about to tread.

In all my 75 years I can’t remember a time of such uncertainty and lack of hope as we have now. No President should have to inherit a mess such as this and I pray that the American public will give Obama a degree of latitude to put some fixes in place.

The two weeks that we spent in Italy provided us with the world’s eye view of our new President. It was 100% positive. Everyone, from the nuns in the monastery where we lodged, to the cab drivers and fellow travelers, gave him (and the United States) a “thumbs up”. For the first time in many a year I can feel a positive energy flowing, not only here at home, but worldwide

It was also interesting to hear, time and again, about their great displeasure with the Iraq war and the Bush administration. Let’s hope that we can now put that to rest once and for all.

12 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

That's good to hear. I am hearing a lot of good things from friends overseas. There is hope in a lot of hearts.

5:27 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Yes, a new era is coming. So many good things can be resolved by the President alone if he has the courage to do. The more systemic problems will take hard bargaining with the congress.

Obama is no peacenik. He has surrounded himself with Democratic hawks so American militarism is secure. I wish it were otherwise.

7:44 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

You are back safely. Wonderful.
Yes, I agree--watching election returns was a great joy. Our daughter, living in London right now, and her fiance had a party with other Americans. They stayed up until 4 a.m. London time to see the results.

Good to know that you were warmly received in Italy. Looking forward to some of your travel tales.

10:44 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Here, here! What a mess he has inherited, and as you said, let us hope that we will all be helping to keep the flame alive and to make some true and positive changes.
It's good to have you back, Ginnie. You were missed.

11:18 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Ginnie, I could tell that from all the foreign blogs I've been reading. It is heartwarming to know that everyone over there is happy he won!!

12:32 PM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Ginnie,

Its good to have you back in this sphere. Looking forward to read all your adventures out there...not forgetting pictures am sure.

Yes, we in Malaysia were over joyed too with his victory which was expected. Lets see which task he tackles first...

Look out for the award in my blog.

7:28 AM  
Blogger RoyalTLady said...

Hey Ginnie

You are being tagged too...come and get it in my blog

7:29 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's good to hve you back. I'm sure we all hope fo the best for your new preseident.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back. I have heard that the people in othere countries are at least as happy as we are with our president elect. It must have been awesome to get to see that reaction first hand.

1:47 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Welcome back! Hope you had a super fine trip.
Yes, many of us are happy Obama won - but, of course, many are not! It seems he is being welcomed more by those outside this country! Small wonder - many people kept wondering if Bush was going to put them on HIS HIT list next!
Having lived in the Middle East, I must say friends and family over there are breathing easier and the count down is on.
Pray for that young man - for his safety and that of his family - and for the wisdom to get thru all the mess he has inherited.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Scott W said...

We may be heading into some uncertain times, but I have to disagree and say it seems to me the hopes for the future are high with Mr. Obama moving into 1600.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Name: Debra Garcia, M.A. said...

It must have been awesome to have such a perspective of the U.S. election.

I haven't been to Europe in over 20 years. But I can imagine being there now and being (finally) proud to be an American.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home