Sunday, August 03, 2008

THE CHESS GAME … circa 1972



A few years after my husband died in 1990 I was looking through some old photographs. I came across a wonderful one of Dick and one of our sons playing chess. It really touched me because it was so reminiscent of how they used to spend hours at the chess board. Dick had been teaching all the children to play since they were toddlers.

The only problem was that it was a Polaroid shot and was almost 20 years old. As so often happened with film of that era it had faded so that I could barely make out the expression on Dick’s face. I mentioned this to Mark (the son in the picture) and he agreed that it was a shame to lose that memory.

Then Mark did a wonderful thing. Unbeknown to me he “stole” the photo when I wasn’t looking. He is an architect and has a very good eye for design so it wasn’t difficult for him to produce this wonderfully stylized version of that photo. He captured the moment exactly as it had been in the original.

This was his Christmas gift to me that year and I was thrilled. I had copies made and, in turn, gave them as gifts to all of my family members.

And the games continue today. Mark is a rated chess player and competes whenever he can get the time. He and his siblings learned a lot from their dad...not the least being the tenacity and patience to play a good game of chess.

8 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I was taught to play chess in high school, by a former boyfriend. He played with me until I got good enough to win, and then he wouldn't play anymore. I forgot how to play a long time ago.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That is a great restoration of a fine memory.

3:54 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh what a great thing for Mark to do. Sounds like your children are very thoughtful.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

That is a great photo, almost a negative type. It is classic. Glad that your son did that for you and that you have those memories.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Lovely. What a great gift.

5:34 AM  
Blogger possum said...

What a great gift and wonderful memory!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

That photo is amazing. I bet you have it framed and displayed somewhere you can glance at it and remember those good times.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Dog_geek said...

What a priceless gift! He did a great job with it!

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home