Tuesday, July 29, 2008

SHRINKING THE WORLD ... via MY BLOG


In July of 2006 I posted my first blog entry. I had decided that I would put down memories of my long life…as a gift for my three children. Little did I know that this simple act of starting a blog would open the door to an exciting new view of the world and it’s many and varied occupants.

Not only have I corresponded with other bloggers; but I’ve actually met with three of them in person. Then, last night, I was flabbergasted to find that I’ve been following and commenting on the blog of a gal in Texas for over a year who is actually the sister-in-law of one of the girls that I sponsor in the AA program here in North Carolina. We’ve been “blogger friends” without realizing that we were related, too … (in the AA way, at least.)

With these thoughts in mind I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite comments over the past years, starting with hers:

OMG - Ginnie that is so unbelivable!…What a tiny world we live in!!! Oh she is sooo wonderful, and my brother is soo wonderful too, although a "normie". Isn't this amazing????”


“My husband teases me, because in the 5 years since my mother's death I have grown nostalgic for many of the things that used to drive me crazy to the point of fury!”

“My friend's grandmother lived to be 103.In her nineties she was still delivering meals on wheels. Every 4th of July she was out marching with a neighborhood "ragtag band." …a positive outlook? Oh yes.”


“I found a love letter tonight from my deceased husband and laughed because he said he just couldn't wait until Saturday night. It would be in the paper who would be at the Totem Pole.....it was Glen Miller's Band. We were going to Brockton High School and started dating at 15 & 17 after knowing each other all our lives and were married for 42 AWESOME years before he passed away from cancer.
What wonderful memories of that place. We went as often as his pitiful little grocery store job paycheck would allow. Thank you for the memories. You made my day as I was sitting here missing him so much tonight.”


“I live about 20 minutes from Clyde's (Music) Barn & I go almost every Tuesday Night! I go with my family & friends & the only other place I go on Tuesday's is the Fire Dept I am on. I love going down there & seeing my friends & sing when they can get me on stage,”


“This advertisement, (referring to “The Kid in Upper 4”) inspired me to open an advertising agency, and later, to shift careers and go into talk radio. Thank you for posting it - it hearkens to a time when patriotism was a given, when copywriters were copywriters, when men who sought meaning could find it even on the bulkheads of a commuter train.”

Just a few of the many comments that lighten my day. Keep them coming, please!

12 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

What a great discovery, Ginnie! I have been amazed at the numbers of people I've "met" via the blog, and the 6-8 people I've actually met in person. It is a great addition to my life and I would hate to be without it!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Blogging opens lots of doors. I feel that I miss a lot when I'm not in touch with others through their blogs. It is a way to do service and to get a message via sharing.

11:55 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

The cyber world definitely is a wondrous addition to our lives.
How interesting that you met someone on-line that you already had a connection to.
The small world syndrome.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mortart said...

Ginnie, blogging is an extraordinary activity. It introduces you to interesting and intelligent people one would not otherwise have ever known. I count you as one of them. I appreciate your frequent visits to my blog and your very kind comments.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Ginnie It is indeed a small world in the blog world.
Case in point:

Roger in Arizona of the blog "There's Always Something" when he learned I live in Atlanta, Ga. asked if I knew several people he knew from Atlanta.

You know how that usually goes. Names from the past are thrown out and there is not connection.

Not this time. My husband and I know each and every one of Roger's old friends and acquaintances.They graduated years ago from Vanderbilt University with Roger.I emailed Roger and told him so and we told his friends news of Roger.They were delighted to hear of him and he of them.

Small World of Blogging.

8:31 PM  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

I love it : )

9:43 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, I just love it, and yes, I have met quite a few bloggers, and I would surely meet more if I had my very own set of wings... I just feel attatched to alot of them..and we are so alike some of us, it is uncanny :)

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The commonality I've found here in our blogosphere is almost spooky. And I'm just one month here! Oh my...how I WISH there were a way to get together with many of the "group" in one place--one day. Who knows? It could happen!

Thanks for visiting my blog, you also lighten MY day.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

I love it that you are related to our Pammie!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Ginnie,
What a great idea for a post. In my mind, it's not simply the act of drawing or the act of publishing that makes blogging so special. It's the interaction with people who come to be a special kind of friend. You've done a nice tribute to the process here.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Pammie said...

Life is good....isn't it?

5:03 PM  
Blogger azahar said...

Ginnie,

A friend once told me that I am getting old. Why? Because I am so fond of writing my childhood stories. Old people like to do that - that's according to him.

That's how I was involved in blogging. Please feel free to read my stories in my blog.

From my blog I have reunited with many of my long lost friends. One is RoyalTlady. The story of how we met really amazed me.

It was like this. One day the daughter of an ex-classmate of mine happened to read my blog. She saw her mother's name mentioned in one of my childhood stories. She immediately called her mom. Her mom then call Royaltlady who then contacted me. That was how, after more than 40 years we met again, at least in the cyber world.

The second story was a bit sad. A lady emailed me after reading my blog. She found out that I was a schoolmate of her late brother. Her late brother drowned in a tragic picnic many many years ago. She just wanted to know more about her brother. She was still a baby when her brother passed away.

So that is why I love blogging

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home