Friday, May 30, 2008

A STRANGER & I SHARE AN AMUSING MOMENT


It was just past 6 AM when I entered the restaurant and I saw that one other customer had been seated before me. He was a nice looking young man and, since we were the only two there, we nodded a silent “good morning” to each other.

I chose this particular restaurant because I like their choice of breakfast items. On this day I opted for a Spanish Omelet and coffee. My friend was equally conservative and ordered 2 eggs, no meat, a biscuit and coffee.

We were just getting down to eating when we heard the loud approach of an 18-wheeler and, a few minutes later, the driver of the truck was being seated. Now there were three of us in the room and once again we nodded to each other pleasantly.

Our new man was very large & I wasn’t surprised when he ordered the equivalent of 3 breakfasts. After he placed his order he sat back, crossed his hands over his protruding tummy and proceeded to rock back and forth in happy anticipation of the feast to come.

It took two waitresses to carry out the large breakfast he’d ordered and it was placed ceremoniously in front of him. He had pancakes, 3 eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits in gravy and a side order of their special hash browns with cheese, not to mention a large Pepsi.

The breakfast seemed to be literally swimming in butter, gravy and syrup but there was an addition to it that caught my eye. A large slice of twisted orange had been placed artistically atop the pancakes. The driver literally reared back when he saw that and then, very carefully with thumb and forefinger, he plucked the offensive orange slice from the stack and, with a sigh of relief, deposited it in the ash tray.

The stranger and I could only smile and shake our heads as we locked eyes across the room. We didn’t have to hide the look of amusement on our faces. There was no way that the truck driver would have seen us.

Now that he had successfully rid himself of the one healthy element of his meal he was completely and happily engrossed in the orgy of eating.

(PS: This is a rerun and I apologize to you who have already read it.)

12 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Oh, I feel sorry for him! How can he not know the sweetness of a cut orange?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I sticking up for this guy. You can't put an orange on a pancake just like you can't slap a pancake on a fruit salad. It just doesn't work.

Okay, so I'm a pretty big guy too, and I likes me a big breakfast on occasion. ;)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

To me it looks like a yummy breakfast. . . .lunch......and dinner combo!

9:05 PM  
Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Now I'm craving an orange! Think I'll head to the kitchen...

Hugs,
Laurie

10:08 PM  
Blogger Scott W said...

Oranges, poranges,
who says
there ain't no
rhyme for oranges?

6:00 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I kind of like AC's comment.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

The orange slice is my favorite part of eating out. It's a palate cleanser. Thanks for visiting my blog Ginnie. I always like what you have to say.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

OMG! What an amazing story Ginnie!

1:50 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I think I read this before, but it made me laugh again.

However, perhaps in his defense, I do the same thing when served up a plate that has an orange (or citrus) garnish! You see, citrus gives me migraines, and I avoid it like the plague!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Crayons said...

Hey. I recognized that story when I got to the friend having no meat at breakfast. Somehow I feel closer to you. I'm such a faithful reader.

Ginnie, I'm at the library now trying to catch up after two weeks away from the Internet. I'm sure I'll develop a better rhythm of visits.

I'm on to you previous posts.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

Ginnie, the image of him picking up the orange slice like it's the most disgusting thing in the world, is priceless.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL......I don't think I'd read this one before. But if I did, I enjoyed it all over again.
Amazing, isn't it? How some people have no concept of good health. But ya know what? He'll probably OUTLIVE all of us! lol
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home