Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Italian Trompe L’oeil bedroom



Trompe L’oeil (Definition: French for “fool the eye”...a two-dimensional artistic rendering that looks actual or real... i.e: three dimensional.)

It’s no surprise to any of my faithful blogger friends that I have a love of all and everything that is Italian. My only overseas experiences were to the Umbrian and Tuscan areas of that amazing country a few years back and I still bask in the memories.

With that in mind I decided to bring a bit of Italy into my own home. I designed a wall mural that would do the trick and then I had to decide where to paint it. I only have five rooms and a central hall in my little house so I settled on my bedroom.

The window in the picture above is part of a larger mural that covers a corner of my bedroom. It is usually the first thing I see when I wake and it never fails to cheer me up.


I will probably never get back to Italy. The dollar has really dropped in value in relation to the Euro and I’m afraid the costs would be prohibitive. However, I can still day dream and I do that a lot.

Many of the monasteries where we stayed had open-air windows like this and if I squint my eyes I can be back there in a flash. Isn’t the mind a wonderful thing? A no-cost vacation awaits me every morning!

14 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

Yeah, in my mind is the only way I'll ever get back to Italy! Maybe I need to have you paint a mural for me, Ginnie!

8:09 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

BTW: it's very, very nice!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Indeed, day dreaming can be a wonderful thing :)

5:22 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looks great and does its job of bringing back the feeling.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

You have an extraordinary talent, Ginnie, what a beautiful way to use it. That whole piece must've taken you some time to complete, yes?

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY word, Ginnie! YOU painted this? I knew you "liked" to paint, but hey girl.....you have some outstanding talent there! Wow! And what a clever thing to do....I love how you wake every morning to a scene that brings you so much joy. There's no better way to begin your day. This looks so nice...I just love it.
And hang in there with the dollar and the Euro....might not be this year, but I see it changing eventually.
Terri
http://www.islandwriter.net

2:10 PM  
Blogger molly said...

thank you very much for the comment on my blog - i needed it. i look forward to reading your blog. thanks again!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

Oh, my goodness...you are not only talented with words,but with paint.
This is lovely, truly lovely and what a wonderful view to wake up to.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Ginnie this is gorgeous!! Love your blog too!

4:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful work and a great idea.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

It is really nice. Did you do the painting? Great work.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginnie, I have seen your work many times. You are absolutely gifted!!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Beautiful mural Ginnie. What a delight to see that first thing in the morning.

4:47 PM  
Blogger robin ann mcintosh said...

Aw, Ginnie, that is absolutely stunning.

Why not go somewhere else, like Buenos Aires? It is safe, much cheaper, and Parisian style.

When I lived in Chile, my grandparents visited me for two weeks : ) They had an AMAZING time traveling around, and were shocked at all the lovely sights and thrills South America had to offer.

Plus, you could vacation there for a fourth, seriously, a fourth of the price.

<3

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home