Friday, March 21, 2008

The saga of Olga and the tub ...


Remember when we were kids and how we loved to sing those silly, sometimes off-color songs? The ones like “Be kind to your web footed friends, ‘cuz a duck may be somebody’s mother”.

Or how about “Do your ears hang low?” which changed to the very risqué “Do your boobs hang low?” when we were out of hearing distance from our parents?

There were hundreds of them, as I recall, but there is one song in particular that fascinated me. My sister Nancy introduced us to it and she would belt it out with gusto. There’s no particular tune attached. You just kind of sing and act it out at the same time.

I have never found anyone who has heard of this song so I will write it out for you here and see if it jogs anyone’s memory. It is the “Saga of Olga”.

Olga, where are you going?
“Upstairs to take a bath”.
Olga...with legs like toothpicks,
And a neck like a big giraffe

Da, da, da, da, da, da, da…

Olga stepped in the bathtub.
Someone pulled out the plug.
Oh my goodness, oh my soul,
There goes Olga down the hole…

Glug, glug, glug

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, this guy sure can't help, but I wish you well. You've googled, I presume?

Having written that I decided to try and achieved no success.

5:22 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

The only part of that that rings a bell is the glug, glug, glug. I think we had a similar song, but the name wasn't Olga. I had legs like toothpicks and a long thin neck - maybe they sang it about me?
LOL

9:53 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

P.S. Have a Happy Easter. I am going to be near you, with all my family. I'll wave as I go by....:-)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Melly` said...

"Do your ears hang low" - I sing to my two year olds... they still love it... BUT.. there is now a song by someone... called do your CHAINS hang low... They KNICKED a kids song!

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginnie, Long time no visit. I see you're still going strong here. This post reminded me of all the jump rope songs that I love to remember and fear are becoming extinct.

4:49 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Ginnie--the first two songs are familiar ones to me, but I have not encountered the Olga song at all.
I had some tapes of kiddie songs, when my children were little, and the web-footed friend was on there, as was "do your ears hang low" (child friendly version, of course). But Olga is totally new to me.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home