Sunday, October 07, 2007

59 Years after my birth…….a strange reunion


I was born in 1933 in the Muhlenberg Hospital, Plainfield, New Jersey, the youngest of 5 girls. Only 8 years separated me from my oldest sister and I guess my parents had given up making it a big deal by the time I came along.

This became apparent when my Aunt Emma, who lived in Brattleboro, Vt. recorded the event in her Diary like this: “Wed Feb 15, very pleas after awhile but foggy early, turned colder & quite cold this eve. Went over to Ida’s about 9 & she had just had a phone message from Jimmie saying Ruth had just had her 5th girl, her name is Virginia. None of us knew anything about it.” (Speak of ego deflation!)

At that time my father was working as Production Manager in an Ad Agency in New York. He had many friends there and collaborated with one on an ad that was quite famous in it’s day. It was titled: “The Kid in Upper Four” and showed a very young soldier on a Pullman train occupying the top bunk. This was in the early 1940’s and it was commissioned by one of the railroads to demonstrate that the troops would be using the trains shortly and for the regular passengers to be considerate of time delays and crowded areas.

I tell this for a reason. In 1992,I was working at the hospital in Pinehurst, North Carolina. While there I ran into an elderly gentleman with an unusual name that sounded oddly familiar. When I mentioned to him that my father (who had passed away 32 years before in 1960) had a friend with the same name he couldn’t believe it. “Are you Jim’s daughter Virginia?” he asked and when I told him I was he just shook his head and then he floored me by saying: “I was at the hospital with your Dad when you were born!”

Isn’t that amazing? He was the writer for the advertisement, “The Kid in Upper Four” and, though quite a bit younger than my father, one of his closest friends.
I think it just goes to prove, once again, that real life can most certainly be stranger than fiction.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

What a coincidence to come across the man who was there when you were born!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

Great story Ginny. I discovered about 6 years ago that a gal who was literally my next door neighbor in Massacusetts was living five holes away from me. We walked to 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade together every day.

2:17 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

That is very interesting, Ginnie! I learned that my birth mother's 2 adopted children had been living in Raleigh for 10 years, at the time I met her (when I was 57). She didn't know I was in Raleigh, and I had no idea her children were here. That was very weird to me!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Isn't it a small world Ginnie.
Nice story.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

OMG! What are the odds? Sometimes it can be a very small, but infinitely surprising, world. BTW, how far is Plainfield from the Oranges and Nutley?

3:06 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Enjoyed the story - I am into family history and all the stories involved. I so wish my interest in writing had come into being before my folks passed away. I do have an interview with my uncle that served in WWII - about things before and after the war - I value it highly. ec

8:15 PM  
Blogger barbhap said...

That's an amazing coincidence... or Godincidence.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home