Thursday, September 06, 2007

A MEDLEY of MOUNTAIN MUSIC MEMORIES


Some of you may remember that I spent a week recently in the hills of North Carolina trying to learn the basics of playing the dulcimer. It was a wonderful experience and opened wide a new area of interest for me. I really hated to say goodbye when the week was over.

My friends Bonnie and Wendy felt the same way and we were thrilled to find that one of the instructors, Sarah, wanted to retain our friendship also. This led to our making plans to meet for a weekend at her country home between Boone and Blowing Rock.

Since Sarah is a dulcimer instructor we all went home and faithfully practiced on our instruments. We couldn’t wait to get to her house to show off and to learn some new techniques. We arrived on Saturday the 25th of August.

The name of Sarah’s retreat is “Watersmeet”. It is a renovated cabin bordered on two sides by a rippling stream. There are outside decks, a front porch and an enclosed side porch. The juxtaposition of the modern facilities and the old-world charm is perfect. I felt like I could snuggle up and just “be” … a feeling that is hard to come by in this busy life.

Although the four of us thoroughly enjoyed our “plunking” and getting to know each other better, the highlight of the weekend was on Sunday. Sarah yearly hosts a pot-luck afternoon for the patrons of the “Mountain Music Concert Series” and by three o’clock the house was overflowing with entertainers, patrons and more food than the table could hold.

The music was as varied as the looks of the entertainers…from the 3 very young girls playing fiddles, to the banjos and guitars, to Sarah on her dulcimer and even to a guy playing the “jew’s harp”.

I sat back and felt the world fade away as I listened. I was swept along on the wings of fellowship and music and I realized that this would be a memory that I would keep forever… a treasure to be brought out when needed.

Thank you, Sarah.

7 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I cannot imagine a more perfect weekend and Sarah's home sounds enchanting. I have been meaning to ask you how you are doing on the dulcimer and what songs are your favorites to play?

8:11 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Sounds delightful. Delightful, I say.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Ginny, wow, what a weekend. I would have loved that!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Maya's Granny said...

I have friends in the mountains of California who go to music camp every year and play such instruments as dulcimers. They would love your wonderful weekend.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Chancy said...

Sounds like a great weekend for everyone. I hiked on over to Sarah's blog and welcomed her to Blogland.

3:02 PM  
Blogger SARAHDIPIDY said...

FROM SARAH..THE MUSIC PERSON AND FLEDGING BLOGGER. I ALWAYS FEEL THAT IT IS A GIFT TO ME FOR FOLKS TO DRIVE UP THE MOUNTAIN TO WATERSMEET. THE RIVER IS DOWN BECAUSE OF DROUGHT, BUT THE MUSIC KEPT US "UP." WE HAD SUCH A GREAT TEAM GETTING READY FOR OUR HOUSE CONCERT. WHAT A HELP AND A PLEASURE. THANKS GINNY!!

4:07 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

The Boone/Blowing rock area is GORGEOUS. I just spent a weekend there for the second time, and would live there if I could.

Here from Kenju's...

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home