Wednesday, January 03, 2007

1978 …In the ER in NORTH CAROLINA


The late 70’s were very unstable years for many small business owners in New York. We decided that it was time for a move and my husband accepted the offer of a job in Pinehurst, North Carolina. It was early in 1977 when he started that job, but it wasn’t until July of ‘78 that our family was united again. It took that long to sell our house and to make all the arrangements.

This was a huge change for us in many ways. For one thing Dick had not worked for anyone except himself since his days at “Life” magazine. He loved the South and especially Moore County but the job was not as it had been advertised and it wasn’t long before he wanted out. He had a building contractors license from NY state and he transferred that to North Carolina. Once again he was starting out on his own.

Our daughter was a senior in High School and the boys were on their own by now so I decided it was time for me to get a job. I had no idea how hard this would be. After all, I had a BS degree from Boston University and had worked for the last 20 years as general office manager for my husband’s Real Estate and building business, as well as selling properties.

It soon became apparent that no one was interested in a 45 year old Northerner regardless of education or qualifications. I put an application in to the local hospital but heard nothing from them. It wasn’t until 3 months later that I met an ER nurse and she said she thought I would be just what they needed in the emergency room. I had some EMT training and could type and that was all it took.

Sure enough, that’s where I got my job. The pay wasn’t great but it was steady work and it gave us health insurance, which we badly needed. Being an ER secretary was never in my plans but it proved to be a God-send in many ways. I stayed in that job for 23 years and finally retired in 2002.

(The picture is a newspaper clipping of an ad for Coca Cola that ran in our local paper. It was taken in the ER and shows a couple of the Docs and nurses and me in the right lower corner.)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Ginnie. My friend Caroline at Potato Print just sent me the link to your blog. Wonderful reading. Reading your profile, I was pleased to see My Name Is Asher Lev listed as a favorite book. Potok is an author I'd kind of forgotten about, but now I'm remembering that I loved every book by him that I read. (Davida's Harp was particularly moving.) He's a good writer.

I also have to comment on those hilarious photos of morose children. I have a few of those laying around as well.

Thanks for your writing. I'll be visiting again.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment. I bet you have some wild ER stories too.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah, I recognized you without being told.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life in the ER must have been doggone interesting! :) It's amazing how these things come along when we don't expect them.


Peace,

~Chani

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Anvil, I picked you right out.
Like Suzy, I, too, had forgotten about "My name is Asher Lev' and "The Art of Asher Lev", wonderful reading.
Anoher interesting story, Ginnie.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was an ER nurse in the Boston area and I bet you were super in your job! Would have loved working with you.
You're certainly to be commended....23 years in the same job! You don't hear that much anymore. Enjoyed this entry, as always.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love that picture, and your story also, always an interesting read dear Ginnie :)
Being an ER nurse myself I get along sooo well with the clerks, they do an acceptional job all shift long and they deserve theire coffee breaks as it is so darn busy there in the ER all times.
Funny it was a cola add, these days they would certainly be doing a water add instead :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

It is always interesting to see where our paths have led us. My business teacher in high school would be so surprised to see where I am today. Neither of us, I am sure, would ever have guessed it!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too worked in an er in the sevenites. Well, 1971 for a short time. It was great experience and gave me some idea of what they go thru there at times. Some wonderful people there. I have photoes I showed my neice the other day.It was one of her and her brother (who she loves dearly NOW.) She was about 8 and he was two years older and she was just glaring at the back of his head like she wanted to kill him. She laughed and said, he probably deserved the look she gave him.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like that job was just waiting for you to come along. Glad it worked out for you and you were happy there.

Take care,
Connie

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you got a modelling fee for promoting that brew

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home