Friday, June 26, 2015

Growing more than IVY ….


This is an ivy plant that resides on my front porch. I water it once a week and, other than keeping it alive I rarely think about it. So why should this week’s watering be any different?

Well, it seems that the thick foliage of the ivy is a perfect hiding place for a birds nest. It can be really well hidden as you can see by the picture and I had no idea that it was there. I was startled, to say the least, when a tiny Carolina Wren flew out of the ivy as soon as I started watering.

 

I’m sure the mama bird was as alarmed as I was so, as soon as I took this picture of the nest, I left her alone.
 
Can you see the hole in the center of the picture and the egg? I have since had a chance to look closer and there are actually four eggs in there. The Carolina Wren is such a sweet little bird and I am glad to play host to her. I pray that she and her little ones will stay hidden from other predators until they can all fly off to more lofty digs in the future.




 

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you gave each other a bit of a start.

5:05 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Wrens are such sweet birds. I hope the nest will be safe.

6:43 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

How neat! Hopefully the neighborhood cats won't find her...

9:52 AM  
Blogger possum said...

We have them here and they love my hanging plants, and can be a bit of a problem sometimes. So I bought them a hanging fern. It is a fake and can stay outside all year. They now nest in that and it doesn't have to come inside the house.
But they are such fun little birds, aren't they?

3:33 AM  
Blogger joared said...

How delightful for you! I've been looking at a beam visible from my frontyard-facing kitchen window as a red-breasted house finch and his spouse built a nest on it, hatching three eggs. Reportedly these birds, unlike some other types, don't clean their nests when in use, so the brood having flown away has abandoned the nest. The adults have now moved further down the beam, built a new nest in which they now appear to be producing their second brood.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home