Friday, May 25, 2012

U-PIC Strawberry Fields …





My daughter (who lives in New York) was surprised that we (in North Carolina) still have fields producing strawberries this late in the season … but we do and that’s me getting ready to hand pick them at just $1 per pound !

Admittedly the field was nowhere near as full of strawberries as it had been earlier but I was still able to fill the bucket in less than 20 minutes. When I got home I froze a bunch and still had plenty of fresh ones for my cereal… all for the total cost of $5.45.

The whole experience reminded me of when I was a child and we would celebrate the first Sunday of strawberry season with pancakes covered with real home-made whipped cream and topped with the berries we had picked. It didn’t get much better than that !!

Writing this makes me wish I’d picked more and, since the owner said that they will stay open until June 1st I think I’ll do just that.

10 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good for you. It's not easy work for an aging body.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ginnie, our strawberry patch is not nearly as big as that one, but has been, giving us strawberries daily for the past few weeks with more to come (we hope). Ours have been delicious too in smoothies, fruit cups, and in Grenville's strawberry pie. We froze a bunch last year, but this year decided to eat them fresh while they lasted.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

How clever of you. My daughter takes her four girls to the fields to hand pick their own produce. Saves a few cents and they get fresh stuff. Dianne

6:18 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Well you enjoy those Strawberries Ginnie!! My Ginny loves them too. Me, I'm a Raspberry girl!!
Love Di ♥

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ij5yph8iY]g8ij5yph8iY[/url]
g8ij5yph8iY fgnldf ngfdgfd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ij5yph8iY dfgfdjgdf

2:26 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

The strawberries have been outstanding this year. I'm going to be sorry when they are gone. And that will be far too soon.

8:32 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

We're still waiting for ours... What a huge field!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Wonderful! We have those fields down here too, although not as many as we used to.

6:03 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I'm a strawberry addict -- loved to pick them. We had 4 or 5 big patches in the area when we moved here. Only one now. None allow customer pickers. Years ago in Ohio I went to fields where I could pick them long after others had gone through. Always found plenty of good berries 'cause most only picked what they could see. All I had to do was lift a few leaves and plenty of berries. The best flavored ones I've ever eaten are Sequoias, but most growers don't plant them 'cause they don't ship well.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings! This is my first comment here so I
just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts.
Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal
with the same topics? Thank you so much!
My weblog ... ffl

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home