Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Off to find the “Wild Things” …



The photo above was taken in my guest room where I’ve paid homage to Maurice Sendak for years. You can see how tattered and beloved the book has become. I bought it years ago in the early 60’s and all three of my children grew up following Max and his travels to the land of “the Wild Things”.

Maurice Sendak illustrated all his books, as well as writing them, and in 1964 “Where The Wild Things Are” was awarded the Caldecott Medal, considered the Pulitzer Prize of children’s book illustrations.

I’ve heard him interviewed and he expressed the fact that “growing up gay and Jewish” in the 40’s and 50’s could well have influenced his leaning toward the dark side. Whatever the cause it certainly resonated with my generation. It kind of ended the era of white picket fences and lollipops and brought a different type of reality to the fore… one that so many children could relate to.

It is sad that Maurice Sendak has died but his legacy is so great that he will be forever remembered.

On second thought however I don’t really believe that he’s gone …



I think he’s just out there in the big beyond searching for “The Wild Things” … and I’ll bet he finds them !

13 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

What a nice tribute, Ginnie. I did not know much about his books until my children were too old to care much about them. More's the pity.

11:15 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

I think he will too, Ginnie.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

I didn't hear that he passed Ginnie. I believe he wrote "Little Bear", a cartoon that my daughter watched when she was little. I would lay on the couch with her to watch it. It was so peaceful that it would put me to sleep! He will be missed.
Love Di ♥

11:49 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

What a wild and funny guy he was. Did you ever seen the interview he did with Stephen Colbert a couple of years ago? Oh, it was so funny. I loved him.

4:33 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I heard the interviews that Terry Gross shared on her tribute to Sendak show the other day. What a fascinating man.
I rarely cry when listening to the radio, but I cried as I listened to him.
And I loved "Where the Wild Things Are"--it was a much loved story for my son and me to share. And each time I got to the part about the soup still being hot, the mother part of me would have to stiffle a sob, so I could finish the story.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous schmidleysscribblins,wordpress.com said...

I suppose I am really out of the loop. I don't think my kids ever read Sendak's books. I think he must have been an 'upscale' writer. Dianne

6:39 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I have not heard of the book or the man but think it is not too late.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I hope so too, Ginnie. Great book and illustrations.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Maurice Sendak and Shel Silverstein are (in my opinion) the greatest children's stroy tellers.

5:43 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I shared his stories with my two sons. And Dr Seuss, of course.

6:26 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Great author... the kids loved him, I did too.
Great post.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you see the interview that Stephen Colbert did with him a few weeks ago? It was both hilarious and informative.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I missed out on this author and his books. I thought I was progressive to have my son read Tintin. My son, the teacher, is not and never has been a big reader even though my house is full of books. It is a mystery to me. I must read these books for myself.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home