Sunday, March 18, 2012

Green with envy …


Some of you might think this is just a picture of Kermit the Frog, (which it is, obviously) but it’s much more than that … it’s the epitome of how I feel … GREEN WITH ENVY ! And why, you might ask, am I in this unenviable position?

Well, I’ve always loved Elton John and never more so than when he turned his life around in 1990. That was when he decided to play it straight and he’s lived a sober and clean life since then. I started the same journey a year before him and it’s been fun to watch his progress.

I heard Elton John interviewed in 1995 and got a big kick out of it when he said, with a huge grin, “Man, living sober is a trip”. He went on to say that sobriety had opened doors that he never knew existed and that he was living a life that he wouldn‘t trade for a million dollars.



But what does this have to do with my being envious? You may remember a few blog entries back where I wrote about my son receiving a crazy NFL Giant’s toaster as a thank you bonus from one of his clients. Well, the same son was given another gift from a different happy customer and this time it was no joke. It was two very choice tickets to see John Elton in person, performing at the RBC Center in Raleigh this past Friday night.

Now wouldn’t you think that any loving son would take his mother to a concert like that? But, oh no, he took his girlfriend with him and even had the audacity to tell me how exciting it was and how much they loved it !!

Oh, well, I guess I’ll get over it in time and I’ll rest easy in the meantime knowing that he’ll never know about the green-eyed monster dwelling within his mother’s heart since he never reads my blog …

and I’m sure none of you will tell him !

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am not into the popular music scene much, but this is one guy that I would be interested to seeing.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I love Elton. What a cool gift but I can't believe he did not take you. Sigh.

10:43 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love Elton John as well.

We lived in WI in 2003 when Harley-Davidson had the 100th anniversary. Mystery surrounded who might be the headliner. No one thought it might be Elton John but it was. He was booed by the people in attendance who had expected Paul McCartney or at least Bruce Springsteen. There were letters to the newspaper suggesting that someone ought to lose their job for getting someone not American, someone never seen on a Harley, not to speak of someone who is gay.

4:22 PM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, Ginnie--too funny. But I understand the greenness.
Hmm--tough choice you put on your son--girlfriend, mother, girlfriend, mother...

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Big John said...

Old Sir Reg ... He didn't do too bad for a fat bald headed gay guy with glasses. :-)

7:58 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I definitely would tell him that he should have taken you!!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I am not a fan, I do admire him as an artist and maybe you will get another chance to see him perform.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

He is a great showman. Wish that you could have been there as well!

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home