Saturday, February 12, 2022

The cycle of life…

Some of you may recall the poem that my son Mark wrote about his dad's workshop. He titled it "Know your mess" and it ends like this:

" It takes a man years to know his mess,

Where all his tools lie, more or less.

My father’s work shop, lots of space,

And every tool, he knows it’s place.”



Mark wrote that in 1984 at age 24  and his dad loved it.  Sadly Dick died just 7 years later at the young age of 59.  That was 32 years ago and our family has made many adjustments, but the one thing I've never given much thought to is aging. 

This Tuesday the 15th I will be 89 and I'm really starting to feel it..  No big health issues but everything is harder to do and I know it's time that I stopped driving.  I have always made it clear that I want to stay in my home and guess what ??

THAT 24 YEAR OLD POET IS NOW 62 AND IN A FEW MONTHS HE WILL BE MOVING IN WITH ME !!

Thanks Mark ... shown here with his daughter Faye 





7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great news, Ginnie. I am so happy for you!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wonderful news that Mark is moving in with you. Now you will have strong arms to do the heavy lifting but also just to be there. Couldn't be happier for you.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Jacobs said...

I'm happy for you that Mark will be moving in with you. I'll be 82 in April, so I understand the feeling that things are now harder to do. I no longer drive and I do live "alone" in my apartment, but with hundreds of other older folks all around me in the Crown Center for Senior Living. I'm located a block or two from two bookstores, a grocery store, and a hair salon. That's within walking distance. And we have a bus and a van for groups going shopping (including that grocery store) or going out to eat. Well, eating out before the pandemic, anyway. Hang in there, friend!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

How nice for you.

Sue’s dad was a hoarder but not actually a hoarder if you know whatI mean. He had tons of stuff but always seemed to know where everything was.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Lovely poetic sentiment. I'm so pleased for you that you are able to remain living in place with your son moving in with you. I'm sure having him nearby will certainly be beneficial. You are very fortunate as not everyone's children are able to live with or even close by an aging parent.

3:39 AM  
Blogger Regina M. said...

what a fortunate woman! I'll be 83 this Nov. - am the sole caretaker of my home & husband (since his falling down the cellar stairs a few yrs. ago resulting in a concussion & failing memory/judgment...between Covid and my discovery of another breast cancer in 2020...need I say more? I am absolutely envious-jealous "NEVER." So very, very glad your son has decided to do this. it's lovely and rare I think. It doesn't get better than that: having an adult child who is loving and offers to help. Good for you! I'm certain you are very much relieved. Best of everything, Ginnie. Hugs.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

Wonderful news for you! I hope that leaves you lots of time for blogging, with your son covering some other tasks.

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home