Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Someone cut out the crossword puzzle

Growing older doesn't mean that my mental abilities will automatically be decreased. 

Maintaining an active mind is the key to staving off mind loss & Alzheimer's say the experts. 

With this in mind I have 2 favorite exercises that I practice every day.


The first one is reading and I always have at least two books going per day. I've read that

many "authorities" recommend not to read in bed, but I do that all the time and it 

never seems to keep me from falling asleep. 


My second exercise is working a crossword puzzle. I do this in bed also...first the 

puzzle and  then the book. I'm definitely a creature of habit. I don’t like to think that 

I have an obsession working crossword puzzles but an unsolved one, wherever I 

find it, is definitely a lure. That’s why I had to laugh when I saw this cartoon.


I remember so clearly being stuck in a Doctor’s office, waiting to be worked in and 

knowing I would be the last patient of the day. I spied the local paper and was 

comforted by the fact that  I could while away the time by doing the crossword 

puzzle. When I opened the paper and found that the puzzle had been cut out I 

almost cried with frustration.



Joseph Addison has said, “Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body”. I 

would add crossword puzzles to that. A daily dose of the two of them present me  

with a mental playground where I can romp to my heart’s content.



 

6 Comments:

Blogger Regina M. said...

oh, i'm definitely with you on reading and crossword puzzles. actually, since a little girl, I've read before going to sleep in bed. now that I've hit a good old age I can't hold books for very long so for about the past 3 years I've read my books from my Kindle nightly. and reading comforts me and actually helps me to fall asleep more quickly than when I don't read.

I become a real grouch if unable to print out, in particular, my Sunday crossword to solve. It's traditional - the Sunday NYT.

always nice reading your entries. thank you from the base of the mini-mountain in Maine.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

We aren't supposed to read in bed? Yikes, I have done that for at least 70 years. What ever it is supposed to do to us, it is too late for me now:) I use to do crossword puzzles on my computer but now I am hooked on Jig saw puzzles on the PC. That way my cat can't mess it up.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I find reading is a wonderful exercise for the mind. I haven’t taken to crossword puzzles though. You must know a lot of the Jeopardy answers!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can imagine the frustration, but that it a fun cartoon. I continue to play my 2 sudokus every morning, sometimes 3 if I make a boo boo on one. This morning, I inadvertently touched the wrong square, or I should say, I didn’t touch the right one hard enough. The tablet didn’t pick up the touch and left me in the previous square. Sigh.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Joared said...

Funny cartoon! I think the secret to mind stimulation is undertaking new things, so doing the same ol' thing day after day in routine even though there may be some variations in the activity may not be as effective as something totally new and different.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Linda P. said...

As a child and teen, I wasn't allowed to bring reading material to the table, so I often resorted to reading cereal boxes in the mornings, at least. Like Regina M, my nighttime reading is via Kindle these days, but I can't imagine not being able to read myself to sleep. Nothing would be more guaranteed to keep me awake than lying in a completely dark room with nothing to distract my unquiet brain from puzzling out the day's events and worrying over the next day's or from the physical pain of rheumatoid arthritis that I mostly ignore during the day but cannot at night. Meditation helps me greatly during the day, but when it hurts at every pressure point, it's not so easy to sink into that meditative state.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home