Sunday, November 03, 2019

My “twin” sister Peg



This picture was taken in 1934. That's me on the right, age 1 year and to my left is Peg … born just 14 months earlier. It’s obvious that we were not actual twins but many thought we were and this is why...

...When it was time to go to school Peg went to Kindergarten and then to a sort of “trial” class called “transition” before first grade. It was canceled before I started school and, of course, that meant that Peg and I ended up in the same grade … and that's how it was for the rest of our lives. We were side by side, like twins, in everything. To say that Peg and I were close is an understatement.

Peg was extremely generous and loving and she was a great listener. I used to be jealous of the way the boys would flock to her side and often shared their hearts out as she patiently nodded her head in agreement and understanding, but I was never jealous enough to try to emulate her. I was more apt to be thinking “oh, for heaven's sake … get over it and move on !” You can see why they chose her … the sweet side of our twosome.

I actually introduced her to a college classmate who was to become her husband. They had been married just shy of 60 years when she died 7 years ago. I will, of course, never be able to replace her but at least I have a lifetime of memories that comfort me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It’s always good to read about your past and your family. She seems like a good sort who love a fairly long life.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

It must be difficult to lose such a sister. The memories must help. That photo is a treasure.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Such a cute picture. Having two brothers I am envious of having an almost twin sister. I didn't get a sis till my mom passed and my dad married into a family with two daughters when I was 16. How wonderful to have had such a close relationship for so many years. I know you must miss her so.

11:31 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Sweet photograph and lovely post. I can only imagine how close you were.

4:38 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

So sweet and the picture...

4:24 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing the photo and the story of the closeness between yourself and your sister, Peggy. I only have a brother and later in life learned that my late mother had miscarried a couple of times before our births.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home