Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thank you Brian ...

Well, today is time to post my next entry and I really don't have the heart to comment about the disgusting and incredible political news that is swirling around the Trump presidency.  You all know where I stand on this anyway.  However I still need an idea and, lo and behold, it came in the form of an email from my son-in-law Brian...complete with pictures.
 
He and my daughter Jody live in rural upstate NY and they have been deluged with rain lately.  This has saturated the soil and enhanced the growth of mushrooms in their area. With this in mind he and my daughter decided to go hunting and WOW were they rewarded for their efforts.  Here is Jody on the search:

Evidently there was an abundance of mushrooms but the big thrill was when they found some Black Trumpet Chanterelles.
 
My Google search said that Black Trumpets are very difficult to find and Brian wrote that they almost filled a Walmart bag with them !   He also mentioned that most of them are now drying in Jody's greenhouse but, to quote him "Some went into last night's pasta sauce.  Yum, yum."
 
 
So there you have it and it makes me wonder if any of you out there have cooked with these type of  mushrooms and do you have any recipes that you'd like to share.                                                         
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
T\ before.

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I have never been brave enough to pick wild mushrooms. I have a friend who claims you try a little bit of one and if you don’t get sick, then it is ok to eat it. I am not brave enough for that!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Not me, but there are some shroomers in the extended family.

4:06 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Oh, WOW!
Many years ago I did watercolor illustrations for a kid's field guide to mushrooms. Being a kid's guide, it did not have THAT many shrooms in it, but just the more easily found local (Pocono's area) mushrooms. I never found any Black Trumpets.
Silly me, I would have just assumed they were poisonous - but I had to assume that about all of them. Call me chicken!
But it was fun looking for them- and painting them. And believe it or not, there is a market for paintings of mushrooms! Who knew?
Fun post, Ginnie!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I wish I had the knowledge and courage to hunt mushrooms as I do love them.

10:01 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

The only wild mushrooms we have hunted, gathered, and eaten are morels. Oh, they are tasty.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Joared said...

I've never hunted mushrooms, but I do enjoy eating them. Am unfamiliar with Black Trumpets.

3:59 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

When we bought our first house and the woods that came with it I mowed some trails which in my ignorance took our a patch of morels. Ignorance is not bliss....

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home