Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A small token of appreciation:


In 2005, I heard about a local Dr. and minister who were teaming up to start a Free Care Clinic in our County. I became very interested and signed up just as soon as they put out the call for volunteers. I’ve been with them ever since.

The first thing that surprised me was the actual NEED in our community for a Free Care Clinic. On the surface our area looks to be quite affluent and I had no idea how that masked the underlying reality. In order for a patient to qualify for free care at the Clinic they have to prove that they are a member of the County, have no medical insurance and are living on an income that is equal to or less than 200% of the federal poverty level.

For the beginning years we operated out of a large room in the Health Dept. It was quite a challenge to say the least but now we have this lovely location, complete with 4 exam rooms. We are funded by contributions and Grants and, although some of the staff is paid, it's the volunteers who make the whole project possible and it warms my heart to be part of it.

It's a very friendly atmosphere and the walls are aglow with lovely hand painted art work by members of our community. I was especially proud a few days back when our Director, Tony, told me that new pictures had arrived and they had chosen a special one to hang over my desk. I couldn't wait to see what honor awaited me. Hmmm ...

 
12 years of hard work. I wonder what they are telling me !

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

It brings a smile, Ginnie. Maybe you do too!

Your writing makes me smile.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Well, I didn't expect that ending. :)

Thank you for doing this work. Clinics like that are not necessary here as far as I know, but good for all of these volunteers.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Maybe that they have worked you like a mule?? It is an adorable picture that makes one smile so I'm thinking you do the same for your co-workers.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That certainly is a fun picture and I was trying to think of an appropriate title or maybe you already have, Ginnie. Volunteers are always appreciated and your efforts are certainly not defined by the artwork above your desk...as you know too.

2:07 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Yes, that artwork makes me smile — and they can be obstinate creatures! Laudable volunteer work in which you are engaged all these years. Unfortunate there has to be a need for it.

12:16 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I love it!

5:54 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Well, MY interpretation is - that picture made me smile- and you often make me smile, too... so that is a good thing!
Point of view #2 - it could have been the other end, but wasn't! ;-D !!!!!

5:14 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

How wonderful for all. Patients and volunteers especially...:)

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home