Tuesday, October 17, 2017

National Constitution Center's Liberty Medal.


Here's a breath of fresh air … bipartisanship at its best !

U.S. Sen. John McCain is this year's recipient of the National Constitution Center's Liberty Medal … awarded annually to “men and women of courage and conviction who strive to secure the blessings of liberty to people around the globe”.

It was presented to him by former vice-president Joe Biden who said in his opening "John, you have broken many times, physically and otherwise, and you have always grown stronger, but what you don't really understand in my humble opinion is how much courage you give the rest of us looking at you," 

McCain said he's humbled to join the ranks of past winners and that it's been his greatest privilege to protect and defend the Constitution. "To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century," he said, "to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain 'the last best hope of earth' for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history."

Did I mention “fresh air”? I'm breathing easier just reading his words. 


6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I admire that man!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

He is a hero of mine for many reasons. He gives one hope that the opposition can be rational and caring about the good of the country. Both sides could work with him.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While i don't usually endorse politicians or political parties, Mr. McCain is in my humble opinion, a man most deserving of this award.

1:43 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I am not a McCain fan, but I will not speak against him, either.
I have a great deal of respect for Joe Biden.
Think how bored we would be right now if Biden had become president! Hey, in my old age I have learned, boring is not a bad thing!!!!!

Perhaps McCain is seeing things differently now that he is seeing different things.
Just sayin'.

4:36 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Thanks for sharing as I hadn't read this. I don’t always agree with John McCain but I do respect his genuine dedication to this nation’s values. I do hope his health continues to allow him to effectively function for years to come. We need him now and will continue to need his outspokenness as we’ve never needed him before.

2:39 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Well said....

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home