Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A night out on the town …



It's a far cry from New York City but it turned out to be a very delightful evening. I'm not a church-goer so I would have felt strange going on my own but with my niece Wendy as my date it made it plausible.

We had seen the signs all over the little town that I live in. They announced the supper and Harvest Sale and it caught our attention. It almost goes without saying that the suppers and desserts are always good at church gatherings and that would have made it appealing even if it didn't include a sale … so we decided to go.

The setting, as you see, is a lovely country church situated quite a few miles from the center of town. We were amazed at the amount of people there. We arrived around 5:30 so can only imagine what it was like at 4 when it opened.

After waiting in line and paying our $8.00 we had a choice of fried chicken or country ham and all the fixins'… not to speak of a huge variety of home made desserts. I chose one called Japanese Fruit Pie which was delicious but left Wendy and I wondering what it had to do with Japan !

Then on to the auction …
 
 
Everything for sale was made by members of the church and the highlight of the night was this lovely blanket that sold for $1700. I can't imagine how many hours it must have taken to make it and could only wonder at the devotion the women had who worked together to complete it.

It was a lovely evening and I plan to go next year … even if I have to go alone !

4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

I enjoy the atmosphere at a church affair such as this one. The food is always good too. Thanks for sharing!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think you're luckier with church suppers than i have been.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Church suppers are usually quite good. Everyone brings their best dish. Sounds like fun and that quilt really brought a good price for a church auction. So glad all that work was rewarded.

8:07 AM  
Blogger possum said...

That corner of the quilt looked beautiful!
Glad you went and had a good meal and good time!

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home