Friday, June 03, 2016

CI-VIL-I-TY … noun … politeness and courtesy in behavior or speech


I am so disheartened with all that is going on in our country. For more than 65 years I have watched as our politicians vie for election and, although I've seen some unbelievable things, I've never seen it go this far. The lack of civility is astounding, as are the ridiculous promises with nothing to back them up, and it will only get worse as we approach November 8th

Trying to be open minded I recently clicked on C-span because I knew they were airing the Libertarian Convention and I was interested in what they had to say. A lot of it didn't make sense to me but when I heard a delegate from Texas stand up at the podium and speak of the “mop headed tyrant in the White House” I turned it off in disgust.

My son Matt is extremely knowledgeable about politics. He listens to CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and the 3 Network channels. He tells me that it is the only way to get an overall picture of what is really happening and I know that's true but I find that I simply can't do it.


What is happening is disgraceful and puts us in such a bad light in the eyes of the world. I dread the outcome of the upcoming elections. If Trump wins I have visions of a foreign dignitary disagreeing with him and Trump telling him to “go home to mommy”, as he tells the dissenters at his rallies. When I mention this to Matt he agrees but he also tells me that he puts his trust in the American voter. 

I pray that he is right. 





10 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

So do I, Ginnie! So do I.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your son sounds like a very thoughtful, measured, and rational kind of guy. I bet he's handsome too! Love ya Mom.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's like a mud battle.

7:39 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Well, Ginnie, you know I absolutely agree with you. So far I have found among my friends and acquaintances only one Trump supporter and he is a pathetic soul, filled with hate and rage, so screaming at and belittling others is something he understands.
But it has been an interesting crowd this year. It would have made for a great comedy if it hadn't been real.
The rest of the world mocks us. What a shame.

3:29 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I do not trust the American voter who blindly follows the media as if they were accurate. A George Carlin quote comes to mind, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." If the American voter is to be trusted, then how did they arrive at DJT as a candidate for the Nation's highest office?

That said, I do hope your Matt is correct.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


I don't know which is your first commenter but all are right on. I know it sickens me also, especially when I actually have some friends with whom I choose not to discuss politics and they actually believe and hope in Trump. It is mind boggling. I don't have a television but hear that these reality shows do demonstrate the lack of civility as well as television in general. So maybe this country now believes that communication is meant to be shouted and shoved at people with the lowest common denominator of language rather than civilly discussed. I will vote and pray and keep my passport at the ready.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I banned Fox in this house. We began watching when Hillary ran in 2008. For a while, they were the only channel that didn't trash her and pour praise on Obama. MSNBC made me sick.

I didn't like Obama when he ran because I knew he could not deliver on his promises, just like Bernie and Trump cannot...unless they form dictatorships. Hey, Mussolini made the trains run on time.

However, he's grown in the job and overall, I think history will heap praise on him. I just finished Alter Egos by Ländler. A very good book and if you read it you will appreciate Hillary and Obama more...at least in terms of foreign policy.

As for the domestic side, Hillary has walked the walk and been involved in women's and children's issues from the Gitgo. I am what's known as a conservative Democrat, or was. I cut my teeth on politics by working with my Mom who was super keen and worked for Terry Sanford. David's mother also worked for the Democrats in NC. As she was Russian with a Russian accent and this was during the Cold War, you know it was difficult. Yes, civility is what we need, manners and respect. We listen to PBS and the BBC now, and local news, otherwise we read. Sound bites don't inform!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sadly, I also am so disappointed with the current crop of those seeking the nation's highest office. It is very disheartening to read news accounts of adults acting worse than unruly children.

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soon we Brits will be voting on 'Brexit'. In other words leaving or staying in the European Union and we have seen some 'ugly' moments from the campaigners on TV, but nothing quite like 'The Donald'.

8:12 AM  
Blogger joared said...

Amazing isn't it -- how many voters support the candidate so many people have described as being racist, bigoted, and having other objectionable qualities. What does that say about our society?

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home