Saturday, May 14, 2016

...to 100 and beyond !


I know, I know, there are days you can hardly make it out of bed and here I am writing about living to be over 100 !! But, wouldn’t it be neat if we could do that...and do it gracefully? (unlike the gal pictured here !!)

My info comes from a five year study of 40 seniors who had arrived at the age of 100. Two doctors followed people who were active, mentally alert, living on their own and able to care for themselves … all from the United States but from widely varied economic backgrounds. The doctors made an extensive documentation of: daily habits, lifestyles, ethnicity, weight, eating preferences, race and genetic backgrounds, as well as spiritual and religious leanings.

At the end of the five years these two doctors did a comparative study of their findings and came up with some fascinating conclusions. They found that it mattered little what the people ate or if they were prone to exercise…although they did point out that all their participants were moderate in these areas.

The exciting thing about their study is that ALL of the 40 people had four things in common and, remember, these were all people active and alert at the age of 100. The four areas of commonality are:

1. A sense of humor.

2. A positive outlook on life.

3. The ability to bear loss.

4. A total dedication to something outside of their daily life.
 
 
I would add that it helps to stay healthy too, although I know a lot of seniors who have no major illnesses and are still miserable. I'd rather follow these four easy suggestions than be like them so get ready … you might be reading this little blog for the next 17 years !!!
 




11 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

This is such a great post! And I love your college photo profile pic, you look radiant. Thank you so much for sharing, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Lol! It would be great. I look forward to it!

6:01 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Excellent!

If you don't have a sense of humor you might as well hang it up...
I have a poster up in my bathroom that says Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously. I work very hard at that. ;-)

OK, I am off to enjoy the sunshine! Hmmm, come to think of it, I think I remember reading a list one time that also said those who lived longer and happier spent considerable time out in their gardens. Durn, I should live forever!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hve all four of these, so does David, age 87 in September. Mostly we have many relatively minor complaints, arthritis being the most common. Did I mention learning more and more medicl terms was an interest of mine? I cannot tell a lie, however, I have had an interest in things medical for a long time. And with a health and Fitness expert for an Aunt who lived to be 94, it stands to reason.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hve all four of these, so does David, age 87 in September. Mostly we have many relatively minor complaints, arthritis being the most common. Did I mention learning more and more medicl terms was an interest of mine? I cannot tell a lie, however, I have had an interest in things medical for a long time. And with a health and Fitness expert for an Aunt who lived to be 94, it stands to reason.

PS I'm looking forward to your blog for many years to come.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, who knew it was so easy? :)) I recently saw a 100 year old lady winning a race--for her age group since she was the only one in it. I would only want to live that long if I could do it like she has done.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Attitude is important whether you live to 50 05 100.

Just let me point out, however, that correlation is not causality. IOW, you can do/be all of these things and live too short of a life.

5:07 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

I hope you make it!!!!!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think attitude has a lot to do with extended life, and as long as one can avoid the dreaded "c" or any of the other bad diseases!

11:36 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I think your illustration is exactly the way I would want to be if I make it to 100. I have always tried to be the opposite of my relatives who complained about every little thing as they aged. I think we just have to get used to all the little aches and pains and move on. From the time we were in our 50s, my husband and I determined to go into retirement with enough interests to keep us busy, enough money to keep us comfortable and the best health possible. And it goes without saying...a good sense of humor. We would never make it without that.

5:26 AM  
Blogger joared said...

This sounds good to me. I think more & more folks are reaching 100 & we'll be heading toward 120 or 130 soon. Am inclined to believe coping with many health issues is tolerable, but pain is what really gets to people's attitude and outlook on life.

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home