Sunday, May 29, 2016

I LOVE this …


Today if you mention the Heimlich Maneuver most people know what it means. This was not the case in the early 70's when my husband and I attended a conference in NY City. One of the discussion leaders was an unknown surgeon from Cincinnati by the name of Dr. Henry Heimlich. We listened in fascination as he demonstrated his simple and easy way to dislodge food from the airway of a choking person.

Dick and I were both part of a Volunteer Rescue Squad in the small town of Clinton Corners, NY and we couldn't wait to get home and tell them what we'd heard. By 1974 the Heimlich Maneuver was launched and the rest is history. 
Now, fast forward to this wonderful true story about 96 year old Dr. Heimlich today. He is a resident of a senior center in Cincinnati and while seated for dinner recently he noticed a woman in distress. She seemed to be choking and he jumped to her aid, using his life saving maneuver, and successfully forcing a small piece of meat from her airway.

When asked how he felt about saving the life of his fellow resident the good Dr. said, “I felt it was just confirmation of what I had been doing throughout my life.”

It's interesting to note that Dr. Heimlich had demonstrated his technique for years but had never actually performed it on a living person until now !

12 Comments:

Blogger kenju said...

I saw the news story on this. I think it is wonderful that he had the opportunity to do this and great that he saved the person's life!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

What a neat story of a man who discovery no doubt saved many lives...:)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

This doctor is one of my heroes. I saved my daughter's life twice using that procedure, once as an infant and once as a young child. My life would be very different if not for this man.

I am glad he had the opportunity to know the feeling of using it to save a life.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can remember when Sue did this for one of our daughters back in the 80s. I was quite impressed. I had never heard of it before then.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

I heard about this story but didn't know it was his first actual rescue mission. So glad he finally got the chance to practice in an actual situation what is now common knowledge. His method has saved countless lives.

6:58 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I recall when the Heimlich maneuver was first taught alongside basic CPR. Yes, countless lives have been saved with this relatively simple maneuver. Lives far too healthy to die.

7:17 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

I was amazed at that last detail--that he had never had to perform his own procedure.
I have been in two separate places where the Heimlich maneuver was used.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I also saw this news story and like you didn't know it was the first time that the Dr had actually performed this life-saving technique How lucky for his fellow resident as well.

6:25 PM  
Blogger joared said...

Interesting about Dr. Heimlich. I had occasion to successfully apply the principal to my young son in a restaurant based on my understanding the respiratory system. This was before I had learned the actual procedure later when I took CPR training. Whatever works, but the Heimlich Procedure is best in all situations.

8:18 PM  
Blogger possum said...

How lucky he was there! Amazing story.

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a wonderful story. He thoroughly enjoyed the moment. He deserves the accolades.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone should learn this and CPR. You never know !

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home