Tuesday, May 24, 2016

FRNDOFBW ...


At gatherings when I notice a person not drinking, or perhaps they say something that rings a bell with me, I ask, “Are you, by any chance, a ‘Friend of Bill W' ?” Bill Wilson was the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous and that is the universal phrase that we in AA use to identify ourselves to fellow members. My license plate, “FRNDOFBW” is a shortened version of this and I’ve had many interesting encounters over the years with people who understand what it means.  It's usually horn honks and lots of upraised thumbs but I’ve also had a few unforgettable adventures and this is my favorite.

I was at a Stop sign waiting for a large vehicle on the main road to turn into the street I was on. He didn't have enough maneuvering room so (without looking in my rear view mirror) I backed up. BAM ! I hit something and when I got out to look I was aghast to see that it was a Sheriff’s car. The Sheriff’s deputy turned out to be a really nice guy and he'd seen that I was trying to give the other driver a little more room so he didn’t charge me with anything. “Just be sure to look in your mirror next time”, he said.

I was getting back in to my car when he added, “By the way I’m curious. What does your license plate mean?” When I told him he said that he was a great fan of AA. “I’ve seen many of the driver’s that I’ve stopped turn their lives around with the aid of that organization,” he said. Then he proceeded to chuckle and he asked me if I’d been aware of what I hit when I backed into his car? I guess I looked bewildered because he pointed to the front grille and to the sign that was affixed to it. The placard read, “BOOZE IT & LOSE IT”
 
“Now you’ll have a good story to tell the next time that you go to one of those meetings”, said the deputy and I agreed. I’ve told it often and it never fails to get a big laugh.



6 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Great story. I've known a few friends of Bill over the years. All great people. This story is hilarious.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It would so easy for that to happen. Glad it has worked out for you and into your repertoire.

6:51 PM  
Blogger possum said...

I LOVE it!
You lucked out on that one!
I remember going to conferences and seeing notices on the bulletin board asking Friends of Bill to meet at some time/place... A good alternative to the usual partying that goes on at those things for so many.

3:59 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Leave it to you to hit a sheriff's car and not get a ticket. I love it. And I love your license plate to remind you every time you get into the car how far you have come. Kudos to you and all the other friends of Bill.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Arkansas Patti said...

LOL, that was a priceless meeting with the law. You hit the right fellow.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clever you. Love this shortened version, also your 'friend's' license plate is apt.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home