Monday, September 21, 2015

North Carolina’s own …


When I saw this photo I thought it was staged and, in a way, I guess it was; but it still made me feel good.  Mainly, I guess, that’s because it happened just a few miles from where I live and is such a great example of how things have changed since I moved to North Carolina in the 70’s.  My husband loved it here but it took me a long time to get acclimated.  Now I, too, have become comfortable here although there is still a lot of “just below the surface” tension between the races.  This seems to be especially true of the Durham/Raleigh area where this drama took place and is what makes this  picture so special.

It’s pretty amazing to see the big grins exhibited in the photo when you hear that these two men were involved in an altercation a year ago where the police officer said “he tried to stab me and I nearly shot him”. But a year has brought many changes and when these two met by chance recently the policeman found that the would-be stabber now has a full time job and has turned his life around.

The Raleigh Police Officer JD Boyd decided to post his picture on Facebook and evidently it’s gone viral and has garnered more than 190,000 likes.  Along with the picture he wrote these words:   "No one is ever lost forever and as long as you continue to work to be a better version of yourself than you were yesterday things will work out eventually. I am ecstatic now to learn that he has turned his life around’

 

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Such a breath of fresh air.

5:08 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

It is too bad that we are all not like him. Be a better version of yourself today than you were yesterday!!

7:14 AM  
Blogger troutbirder said...

Good news indeed...:)

4:43 PM  
Blogger ellen said...

How good to see and hear something positive! And, a very good way for all of us to live our lives.

6:11 AM  
Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

Lovely story.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good old NC. As I grew up there, or rather spent my teen years in High Point (lived in Asheville and Southern Pines as a child then moved away.) I came face to face with many things. First of all, I noticed that any "outsiders or migrants to NC from other states often brought along a lot of prejudice when they moved there. Secondly, the local whites (born there) I knew mostly got along with the blacks. There were ignorant elements of the white population for sure, but given many had grandparents who had experienced the Civil War. Perhaps this was understandable. All I can tell you is that both of my NC native husbands always got along with blacks and had friends among the black population. I was surprised by this because my family hung out in Catholic. Circles which were professional, catholic and multiethnic, but white. Of course being a military family, life with my first husband meant interacting and living next door to members of all races. By the time I met David, I was working with many black individuals.

By the way, the film 'Junebug' with Amy Adams is the NC I knew.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home