Monday, August 17, 2015

Ah…those 1960’s hairdos !!


   
I’m sure you recognize Barbra Streisand and that’s me in the other picture. The year was 1961 and my husband and I were living in New York City. We had two small children and were in an aparment on the eleventh floor of an old building on West 94 St.

Television was just coming in to it’s own and we were avid Jack Paar fans. For those of you who are too young to remember him he had the night show that Johnny Carson took over when he retired. This particular night I don’t think Jack was even hosting but his guest was a singer with the strange name of Barbra and I was sure that a cast member was responsible for the misspelling.

Anyway, the host explained that this was her TV debut and that she would be singing her interpretation of the old Tin Pan Alley standard “Happy Days are Here Again”. I thought it was a strange choice but the minute Barbra started singing I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. She sang this normally upbeat song very, very slowly and each note was pure as a bell. My husband and I were entranced, as was the audience. She ended on a single note that seemed to go on forever and then there was a moment of dead silence before the audience exploded with thunderous applause and whistles.

I have never experienced another pop singer who impressed me as much as Barbra did that night. I was not at all surprised to read that “The Barbra Streisand Album”, released early in 1963 and including her rendition of “Happy Days” was voted Album of the Year and won three Grammy awards.

As for our hairdos?    What can I say ... it was the 60's !

 

 

 

 

 

 

9 Comments:

Blogger NCmountainwoman said...

I do remember the hairdos. And the nights spent with my hair wrapped in toilet tissue to maintain it a few more days.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's neat how one memory triggers another.

7:02 AM  
Blogger possum said...

My brother just gave me a packet of old pictures my Dad had kept... it included my mother's pictures from the 40s and my high school graduation pic from '62... and then my BS yearbook picture.
Couple of weeks ago one of my former students brought by an ANCIENT yearbook from 68 or 69 with my hair down to my waist. Did not cut it until '97 when The Love of My Life passed on. Have not regrown any length since.
Like AC said, its interesting how one memory triggers another.
I, too, loved Barbra Streisand.
And you were beautiful as you are now!
Thanks for another trip down memory land. It fits in so well with this last week.
sigh.

6:28 AM  
Blogger KGMom said...

Hair...one of the quintessential ways we assert individuality! I've got some old pics like this. And long hair? Twice I had mine long.

3:03 AM  
Blogger joared said...

I remember those '60's hairdos well. Also, was employed at a network affiliate station carrying Carson -- exciting times -- and recall Streisand and her "Barbra" show stressing the spelling of her name.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I never quite styled my hair as shown in the photis, I DO remember them. And Barbra Streisand is still a wonderful singer!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Caddie said...

I love Streisand's voice. Like the hair styles too. In a dilemma this day of what to do with this 20" hair of mine - shave it or keep it pinned up. I vacillate while it keeps falling out.

Enjoy your posts very much, Ginnie. Truly I do.

Sissy

5:47 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Actually, that gamin look is very cool. And Streisand had an incredible voice. I was into rock but still could appreciate her talent.

8:45 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

I've been remiss in coming and I apologize. Too much travel. I love your hairdo in that picture. I had a similar do in the 60's and ducktails before that.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home